Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-17 7:10 pm

Post subject: Special EDH - Tribal Theme Battle Royale
AgePosted: 2019-Sep-16 1:32 am 

Hello Fellow members of the EDH Hive Mind.

Some of my friends in real life have decided to create an amateur, likely less entertaining, imitation "Game Knights" video, of us playing Commander. The Theme for Episode 1, is "TRIBAL DECK BUILDING FOR COMMANDER".

The only rule outside normal Commander rules, is that "SLIVERS" is not allowed as a tribe. Below are my initial thoughts, and a request for feedback.

Other information:
There will be at least 4, potentially 5 players in the game.

Strongest Tribes in Commander:
Any Tribe that they made a premade commander deck out of. (Dragons, Elves, Cats, Vampires, Zombies, Wizards) I also believe that Changelings/Shapeshifters would also be strong.

Weakest Tribes in Commander:
Any Tribe that hasn't been given a strong commander option, Any Tribe that lacks depth. (Goats, Snakes, Merfolk, Fairies, Clerics, Spiders etc etc etc.)

I was thinking Angels for my deck? I have a strong hunch that I will See the following:

Reaper King - Scarecrows.
Elf Deck
Elementals (potential)

What do you guys think?

CCole

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Special EDH - Tribal Theme Battle Royale
AgePosted: 2019-Sep-16 9:15 am 

I have written a fair amount on this topic.

In these forums here

Additional discussion in these forums:
http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/search.php?keywords=tribal&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=7&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Updated my post here too

That said, I have made well over 100 tribal EDH decks in the last decade (with about 35 active right now on MTGO). There are far more creature types that can make a valid and fun EDH deck than you would initially think. Here's my synopsis from 2010, which I plan to update in the next six months (work permitting the time).

However, you should look at the Vintage Tribal banned list, and consider following that as well (most are on the banned list because of how they interact with any tribal variant of MtG - such as Extinction).

As for angels, Here's the analysis I have (Current):

CIs with available Generals:
Read as: CI, Total available on-tribe in that CI, Generals
W 148
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Avacyn, Angel of Hope
Avacyn, Guardian Angel
Bruna, the Fading Light
Gisela, the Broken Blade
Linvala, Keeper of Silence
Linvala, the Preserver
Lyra Dawnbringer
Radiant, Archangel
Regna, the Redeemer
Reya Dawnbringer
Sephara, Sky's Blade
Shalai, Voice of Plenty
R 11
Akroma, Angel of Fury
WU 157
Bruna, Light of Alabaster
Geist of Saint Traft
WB 156
Selenia, Dark Angel
RW 163
Anya, Merciless Angel
Archangel Avacyn
Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice
Aurelia, the Warleader
Basandra, Battle Seraph
Feather, the Redeemed
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
Razia, Boros Archangel
Tiana, Ship's Caretaker
GW 152
Gabriel Angelfire
Sigarda, Heron's Grace
Sigarda, Host of Herons
WBR 174
Kaalia of the Vast
Kaalia, Zenith Seeker
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls
RGW 168
Rienne, Angel of Rebirth
GWU 165
Jenara, Asura of War
GWUB 174
Atraxa, Praetors' Voice

Angel Tribal Counts:
Read as: CI Creatures on type (other with "Angel" creature type in the text box)
C 2 (6)
W 120 (20)
U 1
B 2
R 3
WU 5 (3)
WB 6
RW 12
GW 4
WBR 1 (2)
RGW 1
RWU 1
GWU 3 (1)
GWUB 1
WUBRG 1 (1)

Additionally, there are 3 Colorless and 12 Cards with "Angel" (Angelic, etc.) in the name, but do not have the angel creature type on the card.

CanadianCole wrote:
Strongest Tribes in Commander:
Any Tribe that they made a premade commander deck out of. (Dragons, Elves, Cats, Vampires, Zombies, Wizards) I also believe that Changelings/Shapeshifters would also be strong.

Weakest Tribes in Commander:
Any Tribe that hasn't been given a strong commander option, Any Tribe that lacks depth. (Goats, Snakes, Merfolk, Fairies, Clerics, Spiders etc etc etc.)

I was thinking Angels for my deck? I have a strong hunch that I will See the following:

Reaper King - Scarecrows.
Elf Deck
Elementals (potential)

CCole

Scarecrows is a brittle deck, that really has to protect the king. Without the general, the tribe is not very strong at all and the deck tends to fold to spot removal.

Snakes are one of the stronger mono-green tribes after elves, and GU snakes is no slouch either. Ditto UB fairies.

Shapeshifter tribal is not as strong as you might think - mostly because the Generals are U, UB, WUB, so you lose all the good shapeshifters in R or G off the bat (unless you are running Morophon, of course)**. However it's other big weakness is that it can't make good use of lords and tribal effects. One of the strengths of Tribal is being able to get value from niche cards like Harsh Mercy, Distant Melody, and Herald's Horn. This is why Morophon's WUBRG access doesn't quite make up for the loss of tribal synergy.

Shapeshifter tribal loses that advantage because most of the creatures etb or become some other creature type. There are not enough changelings to have enough "all creature types" and most changelings really are sub-par except niche circumstances (and again, you lose the great ones like Taurean Mauler and Chameleon Colossus except under Morophon who is neutered trying to helm this deck).

Depending on the power level of the group, you can probably slot any of two dozen plus tribes and have them all come out around the same power level. You just have to pay attention to what the tribe is trying to accomplish, and not try to showhorn your tribe into a deck style it does not match (e.g. Beast tribal as tempo-aggro probably won't work, neither would "Stompy" Monks; whereas Weenie Rogues (UB or GU) is a natural fit)

So, it comes down to what do you mean by strongest and weakest tribes?

Care to elaborate?

**That said, I do have a Halfdane Shapeshifter tribal deck and I find it fun to play. Just not as strong as your comment implied you expect it to be. I can send you a partial decklist in PM if you would like

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile