Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-11 7:35 am

Post subject: Leadership Vacuum and Melded Commander
AgePosted: 2019-Oct-11 9:50 am 

A player's commander is Bruna, the Fading Light, and it is melded into Brisela, Voice of Nightmares. The player is affected by Leadership Vacuum. Where does Gisela, the Broken Blade end up?

My thought is she gets stuck in the Command Zone forever.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Leadership Vacuum and Melded Commander
AgePosted: 2019-Oct-11 11:25 am 

That...is a genuinely good question. I'm still googling around for an answer. seems like probably?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-11 12:32 pm 

Quote:
712.4. If a melded permanent leaves the battlefield, one permanent leaves the battlefield and two cards are put into the appropriate zone.

Sure looks like both halves go to the command zone, and you can recast only your commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-12 12:20 am 

yet another fantastic reason WotC should stop screwing around with the command zone.

We need a clear set of objective rules so that everybody always knows what to expect, and how to prepare for it. As of now, I think I spend more time arguing with players about the format than I do playing fun and interactive games of Commander. And last time I read, this was not the format's purpose.

QFT

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-12 9:34 am 

Gath Immortal wrote:
yet another fantastic reason WotC should stop screwing around with the command zone.

It’s kind of a corner case. There’s exactly two cards it affects, which is are companion to each other, the 367th and 629th most popular commanders in EDHRec, with 0.085% of decks collectively. It’s not what I’d call a pressing problem.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-12 2:42 pm 

Gath Immortal wrote:
Or they can adjust a rule to handle this tiny window.

Why does everything have to be so dramatic with you?

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-12 11:43 pm 

How does an opponent even cast Leadership Vacuum in this circumstance? Either the Brisela player casts it targeting themselves (which is unlikely because they're mono-white) or Ertai's Meddling was involved.

But yeah, this card does need an errata. The Rules Committee may have a lackluster regard for the comprehensive rules (i.e. exact wording of the command tax rule on the website vs in the C.R.), but the people who designed the card thankfully don't. Someone should bring the problem to them.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-13 12:15 am 

MMLgamer wrote:
How does an opponent even cast Leadership Vacuum in this circumstance? Either the Brisela player casts it targeting themselves (which is unlikely because they're mono-white) or Ertai's Meddling was involved.

But yeah, this card does need an errata. The Rules Committee may have a lackluster regard for the comprehensive rules (i.e. exact wording of the command tax rule on the website vs in the C.R.), but the people who designed the card thankfully don't. Someone should bring the problem to them.

The spell targets a player, who returns their commander(s) to the command zone. So it can certainly be used offensively.

Honestly, it doesn’t seem like it’s even worth addressing right now. Leadership Vacuum doesn't feel like it’ll become a card you see reliably, to me. It’s so narrow. So there’s a rules interaction that adversely affects something like one in 1200 commander decks, under certain conditions (I’ve never seen a Brisela deck played - how reliably do they meld?) Is that a problem that needs a rules clarification? I don’t know.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-13 1:24 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
MMLgamer wrote:
How does an opponent even cast Leadership Vacuum in this circumstance? Either the Brisela player casts it targeting themselves (which is unlikely because they're mono-white) or Ertai's Meddling was involved. [...]

The spell targets a player, who returns their commander(s) to the command zone. So it can certainly be used offensively. [...]

... but can never be cast, because Brisela herself forbids it (cmc 3).

Problem solved?

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-13 4:28 am 

I think, yes. Does anyone know a workaround?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-13 6:20 am 

Thor_Naadoh wrote:
Spectrar Ghost wrote:
MMLgamer wrote:
How does an opponent even cast Leadership Vacuum in this circumstance? Either the Brisela player casts it targeting themselves (which is unlikely because they're mono-white) or Ertai's Meddling was involved. [...]

The spell targets a player, who returns their commander(s) to the command zone. So it can certainly be used offensively. [...]

... but can never be cast, because Brisela herself forbids it (cmc 3).

Problem solved?

As it is right now, this is the correct answer.

As far as other future cards that may or may not be printed would occur, the half you use as a commander would return to the command zone. The other half would go to exile, as it would return to the zone it was last in when entering the battlefield from the meld, since it is unable to go to the zone it is told to go to.

http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=233412#p233412

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-13 8:20 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:

1. Brisela's controller casts Leadership Vacuum targeting theirself. This would most likely be because they're a blue player who's stolen Brisela. But it could also happen if Brisela's owner has Chaos Wand or Shell of the Last Kappa, or a blue player has donated them a Planeswalker's Mischief, or an Elite Arcanist or Kaho, Minamo Historian imprinting Leadership Vacuum.

2. (Maybe.) Bruna and Gisela have been made into copies of Hanweir Garrison and Hanweir Battlements (e.g. with Shapesharer, Unnatural Selection, and Lifespark Spellbomb). Their controller uses the meld ability of the Battlements in response to Leadership Vacuum targeting them. I think this would successfully meld them, but as far as I can tell the rules don't really cover it.

tgambitg wrote:
As far as other future cards that may or may not be printed would occur, the half you use as a commander would return to the command zone. The other half would go to exile, as it would return to the zone it was last in when entering the battlefield from the meld, since it is unable to go to the zone it is told to go to.

I don't think this is right. In general objects don't remember that they previously existed in other zones. (There's a long list of exceptions to let spells and abilities that need that information work.) And I don't see any rule that prevents arbitrary cards from moving to the command zone.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-13 8:46 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:

Any of the myriad effects that remove abilities from a creature. Most are less than 3cmc, but not all, and there are ways to get them into play without casting them, like sun titan.

tgambitg wrote:

There is no reason that any card can't be put into the command zone.

A simple solution would be to change the wording of the commander rules, rule 8 to read "while a card is in the commander zone..."

This would mean any castable card that is sent to the command zone can be retrieved, but once it is out it is a normal card again.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-13 3:25 pm 

NMS wrote:
2. (Maybe.) Bruna and Gisela have been made into copies of Hanweir Garrison and Hanweir Battlements (e.g. with Shapesharer, Unnatural Selection, and Lifespark Spellbomb). Their controller uses the meld ability of the Battlements in response to Leadership Vacuum targeting them. I think this would successfully meld them, but as far as I can tell the rules don't really cover it.

That won't work. When exiled cards return, they're whatever is printed on them - they're treated as new objects.

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-14 1:09 am 

This could basically only happen if the player controlling Brisela somehow plays another person's Leadership Vacuum with Chaos Wand or something else that lets them do it. They'd either have to target themselves or the target would have to be changed to them.

It's such a fringe case. I'd personally be in favor of changing the rules to fix this eventuality, but I don't deem in necessary unless another meld commander comes along that makes it less unlikely to actually be seen in gameplay without trying to make it happen.

It's such an unlikely occurrence that it hardly even matters.

Offline Profile