Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-11 8:14 am

Post subject: Any leeway in allowing generals of certain colors?
AgePosted: 2019-Aug-11 7:37 pm 

I've built several EDH decks in the year or so that I've been involved in this format, and by and large most of the deck ideas I've wanted to do have been possible within the rules.

However, there are certain color combinations that I would love to try out but wouldn't be feasable under the current EDH rules, unless you ran it as a 5 color deck. Gold cards such as Guided Passage, Fungal Shambler, and Lightning Angel are unplayable, and Sanctuaries are suboptimal because in most cases there doesn't exist a general that is all three colors.

I know that Sheldon has made exceptions for the artifact legends Bosh and Memnarch being 'colored' legends, and that Duncan has on some occasions used Genju of the Realm as a 'general'. I propose that perhaps some other creatures be given honorary 'general' status. For instance, the Nephlim certainly seem in-flavor as generals, and open up many new possibilities for deck construction.

Thoughts?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Any leeway in allowing generals of certain colors?
AgePosted: 2019-Aug-11 11:30 pm 

richardstephens wrote:
Gold cards such as Guided Passage, Fungal Shambler, and Lightning Angel are unplayable, and Sanctuaries are suboptimal because in most cases there doesn't exist a general that is all three colors.

I think you need to look around a bit harder. Especially as some of those have been out almost at least since the format got popular. One of the first couple decks my brother made was with Intet and he had Guided Passage in the deck just fine.

Generals for Guided Passage
Generals for Fungal Shambler
Generals for Lightning Angel

And those are only the commanders that match the colours specifically. There's also the commanders with Partner to help out.

richardstephens wrote:
I know that Sheldon has made exceptions for the artifact legends Bosh and Memnarch being 'colored' legends

That sounds like you have very old information. Bosh & Memnarch are considered red & blue commanders respectively. That's official.

As for the Genju of the Realms -- yeah, that requires people to say "Hey, I wanna use this as my commander, any objections?" before play -- and there's a good possibility that people will let you (as it's generally a pretty easy-going playerbase from my experience.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-12 6:44 am 

Sorry, I approved this bot by mistake.

It's an exact copy of an old thread:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Aug-12 6:55 am 

Ohhhhh. *shrug* oh well.

Offline Profile