Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-25 12:43 pm

Post subject: Re: Damia, Sage of Stone - All Creatures!
AgePosted: 2011-Oct-05 1:57 pm 

So two big additions...

Sheoldred
Kessig Cagebreakers

... The cagebreakers... oh... my... god. The deck runs smoothly for being an all-creature deck. The only cards I'm not 100% happy with are Deadwood Treefolk, Fertilid and Helldozer. Sheoldred is a great replacement for the Treefolk, but the other two I want to try and use more before making a decision on 'em.

~ Rhys the Redeemed - Tokens... Why do they keep coming!?
~ Bosh, Iron Golem - Legend of the Iron Giants
~ Damia, Sage of Stone - All Creatures Great & Small

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-06 1:36 pm 

I've been thinking about Kessig Cagebreakers to. But I'm not sure. I've got 43 creatures in the deck, do you think he's worth it?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-06 1:42 pm 

If people overlook him if only for one swing, that's probably 18-24 power hitting the field. That's ridiculous red-zone pressure. I think it's worth it, and when I get a chance to play with the card I'll let y'all know the results.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-11 12:35 pm 

Looks like an awesome, fun deck. Have you tried Sapling of Colfenor? Might be the perfect spot for him.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-11 9:27 pm 

I have a Karador mono-creatures deck (well, mostly; still has four noncreatures spells I can't stand to cut) that is fairly similar in theme to yours, though with more graveyard abuse.

A few card suggestions:

Lurking Predators - Why are you not running this? This is just perfect for a nearly mono-creature deck.
    Oversold Cemetery - Again, perfect in a mono-creature deck. Better in Karador since that deck focuses more on filling the graveyard, but still fine in any deck with a lot of creatures.
    Primordial Sage - It's a nice draw engine. Probably better in Karador than Damia since Karador casts creature spells from graveyard while Damia draws cards herself, but it's a useful backup plan. Garruk's Packleader functions similarly.
    Dimir House Guard - Finds Birthing Pod, and acts as a sac outlet when needed.
    Kagemaro, First to Suffer - I've found it underwhelming in Karador since my normal hand is often quite small (and Kagemaro doesn't count my graveyard hand for his wrath), but he should be a lot better in Damia as a wrath or big creature, whatever you need.
    Spike Weaver - Awesome turbo-fog effect to stop attackers in their tracks. Better in Karador due to built-in recursion, but probably still fine here.

Some suggested cuts:

Capsize - This just doesn't seem like the deck for it. Buyback has negative synergy with Damia, and you want to be spending your mana to dump your hand.
    Mystical Teachings - If you're going to cut Teferi, this becomes a lot less useful since it just doesn't have that many targets. An "on-theme" card like Lurking Predators or Oversold Cemetary just seems better in this slot.
    Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir - The mana commitment on this is, as you've already noted, significant. You don't have many counterspells to hold up anyhow, so the primary advantage of giving flash to your guys is negated (though it's still nice). Besides, in my experience, Teferi tends to draw quite a lot of hate.
    Grim Poppet - There's no Necrotic Ooze in your list, so less conditional removal-guys like Duplicant would probably better serve this slot.
    Royal Assassin - Not all that great without tap effects. It's often just going to put combat at a standstill until someone deals with it (usually soon). Spike Weaver is better at stopping combat from coming your way since it doesn't stop others from attacking your enemies.
    Sisters of Stone Death - While cool, she's just too slow and expensive to be worth the effect. The fact that she doesn't do anything the first turn she's in play coupled with the fact that she requires a lot of mana to use even when she's out means that she's just not worth playing.
    Djinn of Wishes - Expensive, and the effect isn't even that great unless you've a lot of library manipulation. It's not usually all that great a card, and it's even worse in a Damia deck (where you'd rather play out more cards from your hand than spend time flipping random things).
    Edric, Spymaster of Trest - It's an okay political card, but you don't really have many cheap evasive guys or token makers to take advantage of it. I feel like opponents are often going to draw more cards from this than you will.
    Heartwood Storyteller - While you'll trigger the effect less than anyone else, it's still going to trigger enough times in multiplayer that everyone's going to go over seven very quickly, which teeters a bit too close to group hug for my liking.
    Ninja of the Deep Hours - This will probably draw one card and recur a single ETB effect once. I'd much rather have Shadowmage Infiltrator or Bloodgift Demon due to their more reliable card draw.
    Mindleech Mass - Fine if you think you'll connect with this guy on a frequent enough basis. I find him a bit unreliable for an eight mana spell, but it depends on the meta.

Manabase:

You can probably support a few more ETB tapped dual lands. Gilt-Leaf Palace is a great G/B tapland that occasionally comes in untapped at times. Painlands are also good budget options when it comes to enemy colors. You can definitely skew your manabase away from blue and towards green if you run enough green land fetch/ramp. (My green three-color decks tend to only have two basic lands of one of the nongreen colors in order to focus more on the remaining two.)

Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius - Sorcery/Instant Control
Rasputin Dreamweaver - Blink
Teneb, the Harvester - Knight Tribal
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Life Gain, Life Payment

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-13 10:22 pm 

At the moment, I've replaced Ninja of the Deep Hours with Shadowmage Infiltrator (I simply forgot that card existed).

@KrosanGrip - I categorically disagree with a number of your choices on things to cut. Royal Assassin is really good as it discourages attacking me, but deals with threats when talking politics. Edric and the Storyteller are fantastic. I'm unsure of your aversion anything remotely grouphug, but neither of them are that. It's purely a "let me live longer" strategy, not a "let's help everyone for the lulz" like grouphug is.

I like Grim Poppet for dealing with tokens, but your suggestion of Kagemaro, First to Suffer seems to be the better solution.

So on the board to include, I'm thinking Kagemaro and maybe Lurking Predators... as insane as the card is, I think it's just too good. I want to control what/when creatures enter the field because I don't want to be the first to die due to that enchantment.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-04 9:25 am 

I play Mimeoplasm myself, even though i know you play Damia, and a couple of cards i like are: Lurking Predators, Defense of the Heart, Quicksilver Amulet, and Spitting Image. I know none of them are creatures, but all invole getting your beaters out before your mana base is stable enough to cast multiple beaters. I can't tell you how great it is to have 3 Consecrated Sphinx in EDH. My deck isn't all creatures, so Lurking Predators will work wonders for you. Hope i helped in some way.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-10 9:44 pm 

So I cracked a Primal Surge at my pre-release and immediately put it in my Damia deck... didn't even crack another pack of my sealed pool before doing so.... Put. It. Immediately. Into. This. Deck.

Managed to tutor and then cast it *once* so far (against 2 blue control decks no less)... and hit an astonishing 5 cards before exiling Living Death. Those 5 creatures won me the game though. In playtests this card is absurd... In real life this card is absurd.

Currently I'm seeking the right thing to cut for Riftsweeper to remove the drawback of Primal Surge. Wonder is the first one being tested as it just never really works out for me.

In other news: Pestilence Demon is in while Helldozer steps out; Damia still doesn't live a full turn; the only other Avacyn cards on the watch list are Harvester of Souls and (more importantly) Dark Impostor. Repeatable exile effect on a dude? Yes please.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-10 10:38 pm 

My only issue with this deck is that it would be nice to see a little more ramp if possible.

Captain Sisay--Aggro Control

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-10 11:14 pm 

I have an all critter EDH , though it's karthus

Garruk's Horde 7 for a 7/7 trample with futuresight ?
Magus of the Future more futuresight
Avatar of Woe better than royal assassin ?

I run a whole pile of the woodelf varients but my goal is to be able to cast and swing with dragons.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-11 8:44 am 

rlien56 wrote:
My only issue with this deck is that it would be nice to see a little more ramp if possible.

I run just enough ramp and maybe one extra land to get mana fixing. I have enough decks that ramp into big things. Besides, when it comes down to it I want creatures that do things rather than just a dozen copies of Wood Elves. If WotC printed Cultivate on a creature for 3 or 4 mana, that'd be superb, but they haven't. Ramp spells have spoiled us so... :?

Re: Odit ... Avatar of Woe is already in the decklist :roll: Royal Assassin is just so good as an early drop and rattlesnake. Magus is a no-go since it's triple blue cost, and the Horde... meh, I'd rather not have my opponents see what's coming next.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-11 8:16 pm 

I'm new here, so I may not be too good at this, but for mana ramp, wouldn't conjurer's closet work? or even for the enter battlefield effects, to flicker at the end step. would that work? like the eternal witness for a creature from the grave at end step, or rune-scarred demon for any card at end step, or even acidic slime for the lulz. or you could use it to reset a creature after attacking.

how about bringing out fleshbag and next turn bringing back with eternal witness?

once again, I am kinda new, so I wouldn't know too much.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-12 1:26 am 

TheDoctor wrote:
rlien56 wrote:

I run just enough ramp and maybe one extra land to get mana fixing. I have enough decks that ramp into big things. Besides, when it comes down to it I want creatures that do things rather than just a dozen copies of Wood Elves. If WotC printed Cultivate on a creature for 3 or 4 mana, that'd be superb, but they haven't. Ramp spells have spoiled us so... :?

I think the thing of it for me is more so the fact that since all of the ramp/fixing is in green, you're SOL if you're missing the green. I was just trying to say that it looks cool and my "issue" with it is that I like getting in the red zone with flashy stuff.

Captain Sisay--Aggro Control

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-18 9:43 pm 

Trying to find another creature removal slot in the decklist and I'm having trouble cutting a card and choosing the new one.

Guul Draz Assassin and Dark Impostor look really good for repetitive spot removal. Guul Draz Assassin has a slow start-up cost but low activation cost. Dark Impostor is a solid 3-drop but high activation cost (let's be real, it'll only be used once a turn like the Assassin). Dark Impostor completely removes the trouble card, whereas Guul Draz Assassin clears *most* creatures.

Cards considered on the chopping block... Vigor, Mindleech Mass, and Draining Whelk. Each of these are spectacular cards but need to make way for more removal at the moment. I really don't want to cut Vigor due to how absurd it is with the deck's premise, but it seems like damage isn't what is killing most of my creatures it's Wrath or Doom Blade effects. Mindleech Mass has a unique ability on a relevant body. Draining Whelk is a great surprise counterspell and I feel is a real asset to the deck, when it isn't sitting in my hand waiting to get double blue/six open mana.

Some thoughts on this matter would be much appreciated.

Last edited by TheDoctor on 2012-May-20 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-May-18 10:20 pm 

Imposter clears out people's top ends pretty effectively. Let's face it, Guul Draz Assassin is probably never killing an Eldrazi.

Exiling is also much better than just killing in EDH.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile