Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-22 12:41 pm

Post subject: Damia, Sage of Stone - All Creatures!
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-18 10:22 pm 

I've recently been fascinated by the concept of "Creature Only" EDH decks. It's a great creative restriction which I've decided to implement on my recently purchased "Commander Pre-Con". Originally, the BUG deck was to become a Poison/Infect deck with Mimeoplasm combo for the win. That sounded too much like what other people wanted to do, so I decided to go Creature ONLY... almost. Only a handful (7 cards :P pun) are non-creature spells, and I spent hours trying to come up with the most important 7 spells to include. Without further ado...

COMMANDER: Damia, Sage of Stone

- NON-CREATURE SPELLS = 7
Asceticism
Birthing Pod
Conjurer's Closet
Deadbridge Chant
Living Death
Lurking Predators
Primal Surge

- MANA RAMP = 8
Burnished Hart
Farhaven Elf
Gyre Sage
Oracle of Mul Daya
Shaman of Forgotten Ways
Solemn Simulacrum
Somberwald Sage
Yavimaya Elder

- UTILITY/TUTOR = 12
Deadeye Navigator
Draining Whelk
Elvish Piper
Fauna Shaman
Fierce Empath
Mystic Snake
Phyrexian Metamorph
Quickling
Rune-Scarred Demon
Seedborn Muse
Spore Frog
Venser, Shaper Savant

- GRAVEYARD CONTROL/RECURSION = 12
Diluvian Primordial
Entomber Exarch
Eternal Witness
Genesis
Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
Loaming Shaman
Nezumi Graverobber
Puppeteer Clique
Scavenging Ooze
Sheoldred, Whispering One
The Mimeoplasm
Withered Wretch

- REMOVAL: NON-CREATURE = 7
Acidic Slime
Bane of Progress
Caustic Caterpillar
Conclave Naturalists
Trygon Predator
Wickerbough Elder
Woodfall Primus

- REMOVAL: CREATURES = 12
Big Game Hunter
Butcher of Malakir
Duplicant
Evil Twin
Fleshbag Marauder
Kagemaro, First to Suffer
Pestilence Demon
Phyrexian Ingester
Royal Assassin
Shriekmaw
Silklash Spider

- CARD ADVANTAGE = 3
Mulldrifter
Shadowmage Infiltrator
Vizier of the Menagerie

- LANDS = 38
8x Forest
4x Island
5x Swamp
Alchemist's Refuge
Ancient Ziggurat
Bojuka Bog
City of Brass
Command Tower
Creeping Tar pit
Drowned Catacomb
Evolving Wilds
Exotic Orchard
Faerie Conclave
Hinterland Harbor
Hissing Quagmire
Llanowar Wastes
Opulent Palace
Svogthos, the Restless Tomb
Terramorphic Expanse
Treetop Village
Underground River
Volrath's Stronghold
Woodland Cemetery
Yavimaya Coast

As you can see, the mana base is upgraded straight from the Pre-Con list with only a few color-fixing substitutions made. The Pre-Con provided some invaluable staples which I included in the final decklist, such as Butcher of Malakir, E-Wit, and Sad Robot.

Important aspects of the deck:
  • The 7 Non-Creature Non-Land cards ~ Each has an ability which infinitely improves the deck where 7 creatures could not. Birthing Pod is bound to be broken. Living Death is commonly in my favor. Primal Surge just wins everything always.
  • Damia's role in this deck is beat down and card draw. Mimeoplasm may seem like a better choice, but I'd rather have built in card draw that profits only myself.
  • Constant Red-Zone pressure is the only win condition ~ 56 creatures is about 30 more than most decks I run into either online or in the store.
  • Primal Surge is a fair and balanced Magic card.
  • I'd really rather not use actual factual Survival of the Fittest. Really no reason to get myself hated out of the game early with a self-imposed restriction decklist.

I can only find one other decklist on this website which is "Creature Only" (or almost all creatures). If anyone has any suggestions, please put them forward.

:: Recent Changes ::
Indrik Stomphowler -> Conclave Naturalists
Wrexial, the Risen Deep -> Diluvian Primordial
[BANNED]Prophet of Kruphix -> Spore Frog
Krosan Tusker -> Shaman of Forgotten Ways
Heartwood Storyteller -> Vizier of the Menagerie
Brutalizer Exarch -> Caustic Caterpillar
Grim Harvest -> Deadbridge Chant
Grand Coliseum -> Exotic Orchard
Simic Growth Chamber -> Yavimaya Coast
Golgari Rot Farm -> Llanowar Wastes
Jwar Isle Refuge -> Underground River
Temple of the False God -> Hissing Quagmire

~ Rhys the Redeemed - Tokens... Why do they keep coming!?
~ Bosh, Iron Golem - Legend of the Iron Giants
~ Damia, Sage of Stone - All Creatures Great & Small

Last edited by TheDoctor on 2017-Sep-28 2:46 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Damia, Sage of Stone - All Creatures!
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-19 1:00 am 

I see only 5 targets for Mystical Teachings in your deck. Wouldn't something like Demonic/Diabolic Tutor or Demonic Collusion be a bit better? Or why not replace the tutor with something that has more impact? Cloudstone Curio, Equilibrium or another Equipment come to mind. I also see no Seedborn Muse or Teferi in your list. Both can be really good especially together. Also, Wurmcoil Engine looks a bit out of place being just another big dude.
Concerning the lands you should really try and get your hands on a Winding Canyons. Giving your creatures flash as with Teferi mentioned above is really strong in a supposedly all-creatures-deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-20 11:12 am 

Mystical Teachings is in there because each target is worth getting the moment the tutor shows up in my hand. Grim Harvest is insane, especially since I don't have access to Genesis, and Venser is a great "counter" and boomerang.... which reminds me I should think about finding a Riptide Laboratory.

Wurmcoil is in there because I have an extra and because I think the deck needs some sort of beef. I'm gonna try Teferi out in its place for a while to see if it helps (I'm worried it's just gonna die immediately).

So the tweaks thus far:
~ Swamp -> Reliquary Tower (forgot to add it!)
~ Forest -> Treetop Village
~ WurmSlayer DeathEngine -> Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-20 12:18 pm 

TheDoctor wrote:
I can only find one other decklist on this website which is "Creature Only" (or almost all creatures). If anyone has any suggestions, please put them forward.

Have you seen my Xira Arien all creature deck?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4408&hilit=xira+all+creatures

It's a little outdated, but I'd say it's 90% accurate.

Things I have found about all creature decks :-
*You never run out of threats
- for a deck that has no counters to wrath effects, it is surprisingly resilient due to the fact you will keep drawing guys.
*You need tutors/rez
- as you have no access to utility spells such as Naturalize, you need to be able to find/recur your answers. I see you have the obvious tutors, but have you considered Undertaker and Paleoloth?
*Manlands are awesome
- have you thought about adding Creeping Tar Pit? There have been a few occasions where my opponents have been dead on board and topdecked the wrath they needed. Manlands allow you to kill them when they get lucky.
*Sweepers/creature removal
- I try to run as many creature removal dudes as possible. Sometimes, their guys are just bigger. You need to be able to deal with this. Try Duplicant, Massacre Wurm, Bone Shredder, Dark Hatchling.

Hope you got a few ideas from that. Let me know if you want an updated decklist and I'll try to sort one out :)

Sinis wrote:
4. Jellyfish

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-20 6:10 pm 

That's honestly the one I was thinking of when making this deck, however I couldn't find it in any of the searches I did. :roll: Go figure!
This is the one I found though: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2870&p=33394&hilit=all+creatures#p33394

I knew recursion was gonna be Priority #2 (after having all my creatures do *something* utility, which was #1). It's a shame I made the mistake of spending the largest portion of the budget on Ink-Eyes, before I remembered "GENESIS!!". I have a time-shifted Undertaker sitting in my pile o' cards... thought it was crap. I might swap out Pit Keeper for it (otherwise that spot is for a future copy of Genesis).

But my biggest regret when I sold most of my collection was that I got rid of a foil Creeping Tar Pit I had opened for mad cheap. I should have held onto it. I did just pick up Treetop Village and tried to get a Faerie Conclave (sold out :? ).

I'm running Duplicant 2.0 in the form of Phyrexian Ingester.I have a couple of them, and I knew a Duplicant or the cheaper ($-wise) Ingester would be sorely needed.

That said, I want to try out my removal suite before switching in/out anything (Bone Shredder looks good). The next two cards I want are a Volrath's Stronghold and a Genesis.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-21 10:09 am 

The deck looks like a lot of fun! You might have seen my Damia list in the strategy section, yours gave me a lot of good ideas for creatures to play. Especially with Aluren :twisted:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-25 10:07 pm 

Thanks to the gov't, I managed to obtain the money to purchase a Genesis and a Volrath's Stronghold. :)

My big concern right now is the color distribution of my lands. I've never been great at balancing a land base for 3-color decks, so I'm not sure if it properly supports my deck's color requirements. Anyone have suggestions?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-26 4:40 pm 

I feel like Living Death should be one of the 7 non-Creature spells... my experience with Damia so far is that she fills graveyards FAST.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-21 10:53 pm 

Having played the deck almost every time I go out for EDH night... I've made some interesting finds.

1) I need lots of mana -- More than I thought originally, I need a lot more lands in play to actually do anything that'll positively affect the game. I need the ability to cast 2-3 creatures in a turn, and therefore I need more/better land ramp.
2) People don't understand my deck -- They see lots of utility creatures and always think I have sweepers or ways to deal with multiple threats at once. Which means they rely on me too much (strangely) to shake up the board. Apparently the idea of an "all creature deck" doesn't click with folks.
3) Tornado Elemental sucks -- Somehow, I always end up with Wonder in my yard intentional or otherwise. Tornado Elemental has actually prevented me from winning games.
4) I don't cast Damia -- Either I hold a full grip, or I know someone is gonna tuck her, or I have more important spells to play... Damia, the draw engine I built the deck for, seems ancillary. I cast her to bate a counterspell or removal spell... I wish she could do things on the battlefield :|

Based on this, I've modified the decklist slightly.

Crystal Shard --> Living Death (testing)
Herald of Leshrac --> Rune-Scarred Demon
Viridian Emissary --> Krosan Tusker
Tornado Elemental --> Primeval Titan

Living Death is most assuredly worth a slot, but I'm still asking myself "Could this be Crystal Shard?" when I draw it. I think it's a powerful enough effect that it warrants its inclusion. Rune-Scarred Demon is a needed tutor/fatty and doesn't draw the negative attention like the Herald does. Krosan Tusker should have been in the list as a beat-stick and ramp... it's in there now. I cracked a Primeval Titan at a draft and immediately made the switch with the Elemental. Good riddance. Now I have stronger more dependable ramp, a tutor that can get in the red zone, and a game changing spell that is worth the entertainment.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-22 2:40 am 

Just a question: Would Stifle or Trickbind, or even Sundial of the Infinite work at preventing the Herald's trigger?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-22 3:50 am 

eight elves, some of which are really strong.

is elvish harbinger worth playing? as if nothing else it is still mana ramp/fixing.

can fetch

coiling oracle
sages of the anima
eldric
fauna shaman
oracle of mul dya
farhaven elf
fierce empath

also you have tutor demon, but why not fact or fiction sphinx?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-22 11:29 am 

plank wrote:
Just a question: Would Stifle or Trickbind, or even Sundial of the Infinite work at preventing the Herald's trigger?

Stifle and Trickbind - Yes (albeit only once)
Sundial of the Infinite - No, an opponent's Sundial won't work since it's on my turn's upkeep.

jayem wrote:
eight elves, some of which are really strong.

is elvish harbinger worth playing? as if nothing else it is still mana ramp/fixing.

can fetch

coiling oracle
sages of the anima
eldric
fauna shaman
oracle of mul dya
farhaven elf
fierce empath

also you have tutor demon, but why not fact or fiction sphinx?

I never really thought about the Harbinger. While Fauna Shaman and Oracle of Mul Daya (also Eldric) are great cards, I don't feel at the moment I need a tutor specifically for them.

As for the Sphinx of Uthuun, it's okay... but not something I want in the deck. I'm trying to keep my overall mana cost curve "low" (for EDH standards) since I need to main phase all my removal/business.

Since I had Birthing Pod I made a scale of the deck's total CMC (may not be up-to-date):
1 = 0
2 = 5
3 = 12
4 = 10
5 = 13
6 = 6
7 = 5
8 = 3

Adding another 7 drop would be pushing it for me. I'd rather have stronger 4 or 5 drops. While it's nice, I'd sooner play Consecrated Sphinx (6cmc)... and I don't see room for that yet either. Thanks for the suggestions tho.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-23 1:59 am 

In my Kresh deck where I am looking to abuse birthing pod, I like reassembling skeleton/bloodghast, as they come back and let a new chain start.

I see you have phyrexian metamorph, do you often use this to copy the pod itself? I learned the hard way how powerful double pod activations each turn can be.
Obviously birthing pod will be a removal target, Glissa, the traitor can get it back every time an opponent’s creature dies

Finally No sheoldred, whispering one? Seems pretty strong to me with a graveyard full of etb effect creatures. I know it's another 7 drop, but I don't think you should count Krosan tusker as a 7 drop as it's very underwhelming when cast or dropped into play with birthing pod. The best use seems cycling.

How does mold shambler work out for you? it seems it's only good when kicked, with no bonus for getting it into play any other way, and you can't use fierce emapth to tutor it up.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-23 3:25 am 

TheDoctor: I was meaning the death trigger. Eg: Steal some lands, sac the Herald EoT and use the Sundial to make sure you keep whatever came your way. Not the friendliest play, but it could be worse.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-23 10:58 am 

Sheoldred is a great card, but I don't know where to put it. I think the next card I may cut is Teferi (way too color intensive in my "splash" of Blue). Like you I don't consider Krosan Tusker a 7 drop... it's definitely a "cycle for 2G" card... still, the issue is keep a low curve and finding something to cut.

The Metamorph is sometimes a Commander remover, and sometimes it's a Sol Ring. I haven't been in the position yet to clone my Birthing Pod, but I'll keep it in mind. :lol:

Mold Shambler is the nuts. I almost always pick off a Sword of Stuff and Junk, or a Coffers, or a Caged Sun, or something. It's removal everyone is surprised to see and don't mind too much resolving. It's like Capsize, you only play it when you can fully pay its Kicker (buyback) cost.

@ Plank - Hmm, you'd have to ask one of the many judges around here about that. I'm not sure. I want to say "Yes, they stop the ability and I get to keep the lands".

Offline Profile