Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-18 7:47 pm

Post subject: Re: Damia, Sage of Stone - All Creatures!
AgePosted: 2012-May-26 9:52 am 

TheDoctor wrote:
Trying to find another creature removal slot in the decklist and I'm having trouble cutting a card and choosing the new one.

Guul Draz Assassin and Dark Impostor look really good for repetitive spot removal. Guul Draz Assassin has a slow start-up cost but low activation cost. Dark Impostor is a solid 3-drop but high activation cost (let's be real, it'll only be used once a turn like the Assassin). Dark Impostor completely removes the trouble card, whereas Guul Draz Assassin clears *most* creatures.

Cards considered on the chopping block... Vigor, Mindleech Mass, and Draining Whelk. Each of these are spectacular cards but need to make way for more removal at the moment. I really don't want to cut Vigor due to how absurd it is with the deck's premise, but it seems like damage isn't what is killing most of my creatures it's Wrath or Doom Blade effects. Mindleech Mass has a unique ability on a relevant body. Draining Whelk is a great surprise counterspell and I feel is a real asset to the deck, when it isn't sitting in my hand waiting to get double blue/six open mana.

Some thoughts on this matter would be much appreciated.

My suggestion would be to cut Vigor, since it seems to me like a "win-more" card unless you've got some way to abuse +1/+1 counters (like Animar or Ghave). It also telegraphs your intentions and makes you seem a lot more threatening to other players.

Dark Impostor is nuts, but he's expensive. I run him in my mono-black deck which has all the Gauntlet variants as well as Coffers/Urborg; in that context, he is almost too good. Even without all the extra mana, I'd suggest trying him out instead of Vigor. The good part about the Impostor is you can cast him and activate his ability on the same turn, as many times as you want for 6 mana a pop; getting extra activated abilities is just a bonus.

As for Guul Draz Assassin, I used to run him but he ends up not being useful most of the time, just like all Level Up creatures. You can't count on him staying on the board more than 1 turn, and as such he will usually just die without having the chance to activate his relevant ability.

Anyway, just my take on it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-30 2:23 pm 

I still have high hopes for Dark Imposter... but that activation cost is so damn high. :(

"Sleeper" hit from Avacyn is Deadeye Navigator, which I think already should be banned... but we'll see how long it takes for it to get to Prime Time levels of unfun.

Recent update outside of manabase:
Vigor -> Duplicant
Mindleech Mass -> Deadeye Navigator
Primeval Titan (BANNED) -> Elvish Piper
Reliquary Tower -> Alchemist's Refuge

Unfortunately adding DEN means I have the fun-killing combo with Mystic Snake/Draining Whelk/Venser along with Seedborn Muse... but I know I'm not one to tutor for that. I'd much rather abuse Duplicant and Puppeteer Clique. The downside of Prime Time's banning means there's a very large hole in the mana ramp department, which is not actually fillable. Elvish Piper is one of those cards that I've been told time and again to avoid, but it does fit the curve and the role I need to get fatties into play. Opened up a fresh one from a 7th Ed pack, so it's going in.

As far as play goes, mana ramp and color fixing remains the hardest thing to accomplish. I wish there was a better version of Pestilence Demon in these colors so I could actually wrath the board. Maybe Dimir/Simic will give me something in Gatecrash. This deck actually has become one of the more popular decks to loan out. All creatures? Insane win condition? Auto-pilot mode? Sign me up! The only thing I need to do is print out a Birthing Pod chart for the deck and it'll be universally playable. :) I highly recommend others to try building Creature-Only decks.

~ Rhys the Redeemed - Tokens... Why do they keep coming!?
~ Bosh, Iron Golem - Legend of the Iron Giants
~ Damia, Sage of Stone - All Creatures Great & Small

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-30 2:59 pm 

You ever think about just cutting the pod? It's kind of a pain to play with/against.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Elvish Piper. I wouldn't sweat it.

I really liked your original list and aggrozombies damia dredge, so I built one based off those two (the original list is here, although I've switched the general to Vorosh and made some other changes since then). I'm playing Seedguide Ash, Elvish Aberration, and Twisted Abomination to help out with mana. They'd be ideal with duals, but the only one I currently own is Overgrown Tomb, and it's good enough.

For wraths, I've been playing Reiver Demon, but it hasn't worked well. I'm looking for a Havoc Demon to replace it. Kagemaro, First to Suffer does good work in my Kaervek deck, but I need another copy for BUG.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-30 3:23 pm 

Kemev wrote:
You ever think about just cutting the pod? It's kind of a pain to play with/against

I will never cut Pod. It's fair, but very very useful. The deck isn't built to abuse it, and it allows the deck keep up a bit with unrestrained decks. The hassle it creates is easily solved with either memorization or a CMC chart. It's definitely not a pain to play against if it's non-combo.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-31 1:35 pm 

Well, if that's the case, definitely give Seedguide Ash and Elvish Aberration a try. Ramping from 5 mana to 11 mana is spectacular.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-22 7:46 am 

Newest changes to the deck:

Riftsweeper -> Gyre Sage
Mold Shambler -> Sylvan Primordial

Played a game with the deck 2 nights ago and my god it was the most fun game of EDH in a long long time. Unfortunately I can't spend the time to write out the whole thing since it's long and my memory of specific details has faded, but I can at least report on the 2 cards I threw in :D I had Gyre Sage in my opening hand and by turn 5 it had 3 counters on it. It never drew any hate and just did its thing. The only downside is that it cannot color fix, which is alright I suppose since this deck just loves Gyre Sage. The board gets Wrathed and I play Living Death evolving Gyre Sage FIVE TIMES! Sylvan Primordial comes down next turn and eats an Asceticism, Archmage Ascension (with 5 counters on it), and an Elbrus, the Binding Blade. If I could afford buying extra shocklands for this deck I would, if only to make the Primordial even better.

These cards are absolute champs in an all-creature or creature-heavy deck, and anybody who has a similar deck theme should try them out.

The deck itself is still needing a bit of work, and unfortunately that means 2 things. First the deck needs more color fixing as it always has. The lack of a "Cultivate" effect on a creature between 3 and 5 CMC hurts a lot. Adding Misty Rainforest and Verdant Catacombs along with the 3 Shocklands would help drastically but my money is tied up buying cards exclusive for Modern at the moment, not cards that would stay in an EDH deck. Second thing is that I need to find 2 more cards for the deck: one to replace Capsize and the other to be a non-creature removal spell. Mold Shambler was okay in theory but having it put into play off or Lurking Predators, Djinn of Wishes or even Puppeteer Clique sucks hard. Capsize is going because I want some other effect in that slot that is specifically NOT an Instant/Sorcery. I refuse to play Survival of the Fittest if only because that card gets dumb real fast and I have no idea what other sort of effect this deck wants. Lightning Greaves? Oversold Cemetery? I dunno.

Also, someone please find me a functional reprint of Acidic Slime or Relic Crush on a creature and I'll be very grateful. :)
(No, not Woodfall Primus, I need something with lower CMC than that)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-28 8:36 am 

So I tried to make a similar deck. I play for a long time so I have quite a few old cards and used them in this deck. The amount of non-basic land became so huge I made the deck completely highlander. Due to the amount of duals I can play I don't have issues with colorfix, but can't play the basic land fetchers. If fetchland is really common in your meta you could play with deathrite shaman or play more fetch yourself. The Mirage fetchlands are on budget, they don't cause you to lose live, but come into play tapped. If you really need artifact destruction, I really like Molder Slug because I don't play a lot of artifacts myself. If you want to get rid of enchantments you could play Tranquil Grove as one of your seven non-creature cards, Viridian Zealot can destroy an artifact or an enchantment. I totally agree with cutting capsize, because I really don't like playing against the card, so I don't play with it myself.

I'll give you the decklist for ideas:

Commander (1)
Damia, Sage of Stone

Creatures (54)
CMC = 1
Ulvenwald Tracker

CMC = 2
Fauna Shaman
Gilded Drake
Nezumi Graverobber
Scavenging Ooze

CMC = 3
Champion of Lambholt
Eternal Witness
Fierce Empath
Fleshbag Marauder
Heartwood Storyteller
Loaming Shaman
Shadowmage Infiltrator
Somberwald Sage
Trygon Predator
Wood Elves
Yavimaya Dryad

CMC = 4
Braids, Conjurer Adept
Clone
Elvish Piper
Glen Elendra Archmage
Ifh-Bíff Efreet
Mystic Snake
Oracle of Mul Daya
Sakashima's Student
Solemn Simulacrum
Tradewind Rider

CMC = 5
Acidic Slime
Bloodgift Demon
Genesis
Ghastlord of Fugue
Indrik Stomphowler
Kagemaro, First to Suffer
Kessig Cagebreakers
Molder Slug
Mulldrifter
Phyrexian Plaguelord
Shriekmaw
Silklash Spider
The Mimeoplasm

CMC = 6
Brutalizer Exarch
Deadeye Navigator
Elvish Aberration
Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
Kokusho, the Evening Star
Massacre Wurm
Soul of the Harvest
Vela the Night-Clad

CMC = 7
Butcher of Malakir
Phyrexian Ingester
Rune-Scarred Demon
Sheoldred, Whispering One

CMC = 8
Craterhoof Behemoth
Woodfall Primus

Sorceries (3)
Eureka
Living Death
Primal Surge

Artifacts (1)
Birthing Pod

Enchantments (3)
Pernicious Deed
Asceticism
Lurking Predators

Lands (38)
Alchemist's Refuge
Bayou
Bojuka Bog
Breeding Pool
City of Brass
Command Tower
Creeping Tar Pit
Dimir Aqueduct
Dryad Arbor
Dust Bowl
Forest
Golgari Rot Farm
Grand Coliseum
High Market
Hinterland Harbor
Island
Maze of Ith
Misty Rainforest
Mosswort Bridge
Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
Overgrown Tomb
Polluted Delta
Rupture Spire
Simic Growth Chamber
Strip Mine
Svogthos, the Restless Tomb
Swamp
Temple of the False God
Tropical Island
Underground River
Underground Sea
Verdant Catacombs
Volrath's Stronghold
Wasteland
Watery Grave
Winding Canyons
Woodland Cemetery
Yavimaya Coast

It's a lot of fun to play the deck and it's even quite strong. Hope this helps.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-28 9:26 am 

TheDoctor wrote:
Also, someone please find me a functional reprint of Acidic Slime or Relic Crush on a creature and I'll be very grateful. :)
(No, not Woodfall Primus, I need something with lower CMC than that)

I know it doesn't fit your enters-play/leaves-play theme, but Trygon Predator is always a house.Viridian Zealot's probably the next best card after that.

Your other options are a little more situational: Nantuko Vigilante, Nullmage Advocate, or Nullmage Shepherd.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-26 1:45 am 

Dear god there's been a sever lack of updates to this deck.

A good number of changes have been made since last update. A couple bannings shook up the meta and card choices, and this deck still proves to be fun and strong. I may have missed a few cards, but the 100% current list as of this post is in the first post.

Fertilid -> Burnished Hart
Sylvok Replica -> Prophet of Kruphix (see below :( )
Edric, Spymaster of Trest -> Bane of Progress
[BANNED] Sylvan Primordial -> Woodfall Primus
Kessig Cagebreakers -> Quickling
Rupture Spire -> Opulent Palace
Indrik Stomphowler -> Conclave Naturalists
Wrexial -> Diluvian Primordial
[BANNED] Prophet of Kruphix -> Spore Frog
Krosan Tusker -> Shaman of Forgotten Ways
Heartwood Storyteller -> Vizier of the Menagerie
Brutalizer Exarch -> Caustic Caterpillar
Grim Harvest -> Deadbridge Chant

The primary area of improvement has been the "mana"/"lands" creatures. Slowly improving the fixing and ramp as new cards are printed. Low-key utility creatures Quickling and Caustic Caterpillar are pulling their weight and have replaced under-performing cards. Long-time favor Grim Harvest gets the axe, in favor of trying out Deadbridge Chant. I'm wary of the randomness, but getting cards straight onto the field is too hard to resist. This makes surprise newcomer Spore Frog a little worse. As the fog frog is a pet favorite of a local player I'm sticking with it. Also, Wizards printed Biorhythm on a creature.... so Shaman of Forgotten Ways is a thing I guess.

Someone in my LGS suggested to include Deathrite Shaman, which is... actually not unreasonable. My next planned upgrade for the deck is improvements to the lands. If I can better ensure Deathrite has lands to eat for ramp, then its addition would be great. We'll see what happens :wink:

Offline Profile