Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-26 11:09 pm

Post subject: Lazav's School of Jiu-Jitsu
AgePosted: 2013-Jan-25 7:23 am 

Hi there,

Been a member for a little while, but this is my first post.

I decided to build this deck the second Lazav was spoiled, it's exactly my style and reminds me of decks I used to play back in the day when Alliances hit the shelves.

The idea is using opponents' resources against them as much as possible. I tested the following list last week and it ran very smoothly until I got a little overzealous with Necropotence. It made me realize I absolutely needed a Reliquary Tower and some way to gain life (Exsanguinate was the first card to come to mind). I'm also thinking of boosting acceleration.

Please keep in mind that the group I play with allows proxies, so budget isn't an issue at all.

Without further delay, here's the list:

Land (38)
1x Bojuka Bog
1x Cabal Coffers
1x Command Tower
1x Creeping Tar Pit
1x Darkslick Shores
1x Dimir Aqueduct
1x Dreadship Reef
1x Drowned Catacomb
1x Duskmantle, House of Shadow
1x Exotic Orchard
1x Halimar Depths
7x Island
1x Maze of Ith
1x Nephalia Drownyard
1x Polluted Delta
1x Reflecting Pool
1x River of Tears
1x Shizo, Death's Storehouse
1x Strip Mine
1x Sunken Ruins
5x Swamp
1x Tainted Isle
1x Underground River
1x Underground Sea
1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1x Volrath's Stronghold
1x Wasteland
1x Watery Grave

Artifact (12)
1x Chromatic Lantern
1x Dimir Keyrune
1x Elixir of Immortality
1x Mesmeric Orb
1x Mimic Vat
1x Mindcrank
1x Oblivion Stone
1x Sensei's Divining Top
1x Sol Ring
1x Sword of Body and Mind
1x Trailblazer's Boots
1x Trepanation Blade

Enchantment (5)
1x Animate Dead
1x Dauthi Embrace
1x Necromancy
1x Necropotence
1x Shapeshifter's Marrow

Creature (19)
1x Consecrated Sphinx
1x Consuming Aberration
1x Diluvian Primordial
1x Dimir Doppelganger
1x Duskmantle Guildmage
1x Fleshbag Marauder
1x Geth, Lord of the Vault
1x Glen Elendra Archmage
1x Havengul Lich
1x Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
1x Jace's Archivist
1x Lazav, Dimir Mastermind
1x Phyrexian Metamorph
1x Sakashima the Impostor
1x Shadowmage Infiltrator
1x Sheoldred, Whispering One
1x Snapcaster Mage
1x Solemn Simulacrum
1x Thada Adel, Acquisitor

Sorcery (13)
1x Beacon of Unrest
1x Black Sun's Zenith
1x Bribery
1x Damnation
1x Demonic Tutor
1x Mind Grind
1x Reanimate
1x Rite of Replication
1x Stolen Identity
1x Traumatize
1x Whispering Madness
1x Windfall
1x Yawgmoth's Will

Instant (11)
1x Capsize
1x Cryptic Command
1x Cyclonic Rift
1x Forbid
1x Force of Will
1x Hinder
1x Mana Drain
1x Memory Plunder
1x Mystical Tutor
1x Spell Crumple
1x Vampiric Tutor

Planeswalker (2)
1x Jace, Memory Adept
1x Liliana Vess

Also, Mindcrank + Duskmantle Guildmage is the nuts, if you already have a Mesmeric Orb out it's even better.

Looking forward to discuss this deck, all comments are welcome, I handle criticism pretty well.

Cheers !

-Strik

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Lazav's School of Jiu-Jitsu
AgePosted: 2013-Jan-27 4:20 pm 

It looks pretty tuned already. The only cards I might want are Nezumi Graverobber, Puppeteer Clique, and Spelltwine.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-28 4:45 am 

I've had a Wrexial list with the same goal for a long time. When Lazav was spoiled I knew I had to include him, so I actually demoted Wrexial to Lieutenant (meaning just another legendary creature in the deck) and made Lazav my Commander:

My list is deliberately less cutthroat than yours, although it does run a nasty combo almost on par with your Mindcrank + Duskmantle Guildmage. Anyway, even though most of my choices aim for wacky or fun more than for raw power, I still think there are a few cards on my list which should definitely be on yours:
Grinning Totem - you can use it to cast a spell from their deck, or just to find a creature like Avacyn, Angel of Hope and put it into their graveyard on your next turn, triggering Lazav
Praetor's Grasp - Similar to Totem but it only costs 3 mana and the card stays accessible to you for as long as it remains exiled, rather than just one turn. Unfortunately, it can't trigger Lazav unless you actually cast the creature. I usually use it to get either a sweeper (Cyclonic Rift/Damnation) or Cabal Coffers
Vesuva - use it on your own land, or your opponent's legendary land, or whatever. It's perfectly on-theme, and the best land in the format
Thespian's Stage - same as Vesuva
Trickbind - a lot of people like to play Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre. It's not terrible milling into him, because you get to copy him with Lazav, but when you're trying to mill a player out of the game it's always frustrating, so I run Trickbind and
Ravenous Trap - good against Ulamog/Kozilek shenanigans, and also pretty good when you're milling a player and you accidentally give them a graveyard-based combo

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-28 1:16 pm 

Interesting, I've been planning to build a Lazav deck once the set comes out. My favorite card in your list has to be Shapeshifter's Marrow. It gets you information, it works with Lazav, and it's random and weird as hell! Awesome!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-28 9:00 pm 

I played mill deck before Lazaw also with Wrexial as general. I don't like tutors and lots of counterspells... I need drawing cards so I played cards like font of mythos,howling mine, kami of the crescent moon...it's fun, friendly and your opponents don't hate you :D (It helps to milling to) And they're also very good with psychosis crawler, underworld dreams this cards works very well with the "wheels efects" so (wheel and deal, the new one from gatecrash with cipher) and if you couldn't kill with milling, you can kill with this(+mindcrank).
With this cards I played also megrim, liliana's caress, but I'm not sure with theese two.

From the mill base are good cards like mind funeral (much better than the new one in single game), glimpse the unthinkable, memory erosion and the best mill card is keening stone (this card won a lots of game for me... :) )

And what I really liked is undead alchemist....lots of combos with graveyard is with creatures, this is a good defense against them and in a moment you'll have an army of tokens:)

I was trying bitter ordeal, prior against collosus / eldrazi, but I played it not a long time, so I have no oppinion for this card...but it has potential. I played (same as you) lots of fatties, so I played heartless summoning....it wasn't great, but not so bad, discutable card.
(sorry for my english:))

Offline Profile