Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Feb-20 5:33 am

Post subject: Re: So you want to post a decklist (Here are some tips)
AgePosted: 2010-Dec-05 6:37 pm 

Baxter wrote:
Cervid wrote:
Edit: One more thing. I would encourage people to take part in compilation mega-threads with a particular general, especially when that general lends itself to a common theme. A great example is this decklist thread for Mayael the Anima. Although lengthy, this thread contains a plethora of knowledge about Mayael as a general, and has become a great resource for anyone looking to have her lead them into battle.

These compilation mega-threads also cut down on total posts in the decklist forum, make it easier for people looking for help, as well as increase the likelihood that someone will look at, and comment on, your list.

I agree 100%. We should probably start a compelation thread on each of the most popular generals, Sharuum, Kresh and other similar popular generals.

I'm fine, as long as my generals don't get threads :P

Hee hee hee, all the secret tech is mine!
My preeeehheehheeciousshhhss.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-05 7:31 pm 

Hey, this is sorta on topic, but the link for http://manabase.com/autocard.php seems to be down. It hasn't been working for me for like two weeks, but people keep posting it here, so I'm just wondering what's up. Am I doing it wrong, or are people just blind-posting this link that's been dead for weeks?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-05 7:45 pm 

thaumaturge wrote:
Hey, this is sorta on topic, but the link for http://manabase.com/autocard.php seems to be down. It hasn't been working for me for like two weeks, but people keep posting it here, so I'm just wondering what's up. Am I doing it wrong, or are people just blind-posting this link that's been dead for weeks?

Worked for me earlier today and last night.

It goes down occasinaly..

someone ask him for usage rights to the code.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-05 7:48 pm 

Joz wrote:
Worked for me earlier today and last night.

It goes down occasinaly..

someone ask him for usage rights to the code.

Okay, thanks. I'll keep trying I guess, but I've tried it 7 or 8 times on different days in the last two weeks and it's been down every single time. That's more than occasionally if you ask me, but oh well.

Well, finally! It's working again, though it appears to be slow as christmas.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-11 1:25 am 

I added Cervid's recommendation about joining an existing thread.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-14 12:01 pm 

You might want to be more clear on what you mean by "formats" in number 4. Just adding "(1v1 or multiplayer)" in brackets would likely help stupid people like me.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-14 1:42 pm 

Done!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-21 3:09 pm 

If you're having trouble with manabase.com, send me a PM. I originally suggested using the website and can easily get in touch with the guy who created it. Knowing him he likes to be aware that there are issues and will in my experience work on resolving them quickly if there are any (though no promises of course, it's his site, not mine and can't speak on his behalf).

While I am all in favor of the compilation thread idea (surprise, surprise) I do want to make you aware of one issue, ideally you'd have some index to the content when you start hitting 20-30 pages or more. I can from experience tell that people aren't too excited about helping create something like that and if you don't have it you can expect going round in circles from time to time, having the same old discussion yet again. I also think that at some point the thread will start to look quite scary to newer people, would you really read all 57 (and counting) pages of the Mayael thread if you wanted to build a deck with her as general?

On my own forum we have a topic quite similar to this one to refer people to when posting a deck. It seems you have pretty much covered everything we have in there, so not much to add to the opening post.

I dance all night and I sleep all day

3 Steps Ahead - I'm A Gabber

Automatically add card tags to the card names in any text:
http://manabase.com/autocard.php

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-21 12:48 pm 

People may disagree with me on this one, but I don't find sorting your deck by card type the least bit helpful. All that really does is explain a deck's theme, which should be explained in a few sentences before or after the decklist anyway, and demonstrates what type of removal the deck is most vulnerable to. I still have to scour the whole list just to try to come up with a count of how much draw card you're playing, or creature control, or whatever. The only thing that sorting by type helps with, for the most part, is the lands.

I find it much more useful to sort by the purpose of the cards. Here's some categories I suggest:

Draw Card
Tutors
Recursion
Win Conditions
Combo Pieces
Burn Spells
Creature Control
Artifact/Enchantment Control
Land Control
Graveyard Control
Counters
Discard
Non-Land Mana
Mana Producing Land

I realize that's a lot of categories, but not every deck is going to have cards that classify into every column. By using these categories, it's much easier to tell if your deck has too much/little mana, is going to empty it's hand too fast, is too easy to disrupt, and so on.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-22 6:33 pm 

I changed #2 to:
Quote:
2. Sort your decklist by card type or their role in your deck. Sorting makes it easier to see the deck's focus and check if you are already running cards we think might be helpful. Use headers when sorting! Providing a land count is helpful, too.

I haven't changed the recommendation about using an existing thread even though there's been some backlash against that practice because I think it is still underused. If we ever get to the point where too many people are posting in too few threads, I'll change the OP.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Feb-07 6:18 pm 

I think it's really helpful to give a descriptive title. Just your commander is fine, but I think the forum as a whole functions better when you use another word or two to be more descriptive. It's helps to point people towards similar decks, and focuses discussion. The Child of Alara thread, for example, doesn't even mention Child of Alara in the title, but it's had an absurd amount of constructive discussion because people know exactly what it is.

For instance, the difference between all of these is reasonably clear, and gives an idea of what to expect:

Azami, Lady of Scrolls - Wizard Tribal
Azami, Lady of Scrolls - Combo/Control
Azami, Lady of Scrolls - Draw-Go

Each means something just a little different, and though there might be some overlap, I think it'll get you more views than a more generic title.

Similarly, I'd like to reiterate that more text is good. If you sort your list by function, and give people an idea of how the deck plays, or what kinds of problems you're having, it's a lot easier to be constructive and give helpful advice. Nothing is more bothersome than someone who posts a pretty standard list and asks for generic advice.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-22 12:46 am 

Seems like a lot of people who posted recently aren't taking the time to read this thread. I mean, come on, at least group all of your signets together!

4] Mayael the Anima (Fatties FTW!)
5] Omnath, Locus of Mana (Big Green Men)
6] Oros, The Avenger (Rock Burn)
7] Savra, Queen of the Golgari (Token Snack)
8] Rafiq of the Many (One Man, Alone)
9] Reaper King (Taste the EPIC!)
10] Uril, the Miststalker (Dark Rafiq)

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-02 9:18 pm 

At TCG player.com Tawnos has a couple public decks.

Generally commanding Captain Sisay and Karn.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-12 8:04 pm 

One thing I usually do on my decklists is put down the cards I know people will say (like Rites of Flourishing in my Omnath deck) that I won't put in. Then you don't get posts that say to put in certain cards that seem obvious but you know don't work/just don't like/ think are too broken to run in your meta, ect. And if you are going to make said list, then EXPLAIN WHY!!!!!!! Another problem is that if you don't want a certain card, like the example I put with the Rites, then you'll get half a billion posts saying "why not rites, works great with omny", and bullcrap like that.

"The world would not be near the same if people like you and me didn't come up with ideas that seemed stupid at first and then went through with them"- one of my epic friends.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-26 11:39 pm 

May take a little amount of work but will be helpful to visitors and other users.

Start a new stickied thread;

Commander decklists by General;

Then have spoilers in a way like the following;

Scion of the ur-dragon
LINKURL - Brief description if given - OP username

Mayael the Anima

etcetc, washrinserepeat.

Will require attentive Moderator/user to watch and update the thread. Users can request their deck to be included and it is up to the moderator to make sure the decklist is readable and well described etc.

Offline Profile