Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-17 11:34 pm

Post subject: So you want to post a decklist (Here are some tips)
AgePosted: 2010-Dec-04 5:07 pm 

Here are a couple of ways to make it easier for folks to give you feedback on your list. Don't be intimidated; these are just suggestions, but they will make a difference.

1. Use card tags. Type (card)cardname(/card), except use [] instead of (). Like this: Rush of Knowledge. You can shortcut things by clicking the 'card' button above the text box when posting. To tag a bunch of cards at once, use this website. It's easy and courteous! I tend to ignore decklists that haven't tagged their cards.

2. Sort your decklist by card type or their role in your deck. Sorting makes it easier to see the deck's focus and check if you are already running cards we think might be helpful. Use headers when sorting! Providing a land count is helpful, too.

3. Explain your strategy. What are the deck's main win conditions? Mention important synergies and combos.

4. Describe your meta. What formats do you play (Star, FFA, 1v1)? What types of decks are you playing against, and which Commanders? Are you having difficulty beating specific cards or strategies? The forum can help you brainstorm for solutions, but only if we know what the problems are.

5. Mention whether or not you have a budget.

6. When in doubt, say more. In most cases on forums, I think people write too much, but on decklist topics, posters are invariably taciturn. This constrains feedback! The more you say, the more we have to respond to.

7. Have you considered adding your decklist to an existing thread about that Commander? Doing so makes it easier to compare notes with others and lets everyone talk strategy in one place instead of over dozens of threads. It's also a huge help to future deckbuilders.

8. If you're going to make a new thread, use an informative topic title. Is your Commander's name in it? If I can't tell what Commander you're using, I might not even open the topic.

Last edited by Fugu on 2011-Feb-25 2:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: So you want to post a decklist (Here are some tips)
AgePosted: 2010-Dec-04 5:10 pm 

I'd like folks to mention other tips that belong in the list above. These are the sorts of things that go through my head almost every time a new poster submits a decklist. If we make this list helpful enough, we can maybe get this stickied. Then we won't ever have to reply to a decklist with only, "CARD TAGS PLEASE" again! Right? Cause everyone always reads sticky posts...?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-04 6:19 pm 

Sort your list. And I don't mean alphabetically, I mean by type or something else useful. This also means using headers to delineate what the sections are.

If a list doesn't have tags, isn't sorted usefully, and doesn't include some summary of the deck and it's key strategies/interactions/etc, I'm highly unlikely to do more than open the topic and glance at it.

Oh, and before you even get to the decklist, make sure your thread subject includes your general (this means making it obvious, clear petnames are okay but more obscure ones are not). There's nothing more likely to keep me from looking at your list than not putting your general's name in it, so I can figure out if it's something I have enough experience with to provide useful feedback.

Decks: Lion King (Rafiq of the Many - Midrange Combo); Uril, the Miststalker (Enchantress Beasts); Saliva (Sliver Overlord - Sliver/Allies); Angry Enchantress (Child of Alara - 5c Enchantments); Nicol Bolas (Reanimator Goodstuff)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-04 6:40 pm 

1. Sticky this.
2. Require this to be read before even being able to post new threads in the Decklist forum.
3. Require a test on this to be submitted to the moderator so they can let you post in the decklist forum.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-04 6:42 pm 

- Mark the total number of mana-producing lands in the deck somewhere on the list.
- Let everyone know how many players you expect to be playing against. Nothing's more frustrating that giving a bunch of card suggestions only to hear that "Oh, those cards aren't good in 1v1 / 1v1v1 / 2HG / 12-man chaos which is all I play."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-04 7:09 pm 

Lawl, tagging a card when people can use a website to read what the card is. Tagging seems like it's more on the lazy man's wayof saying - "I really don't feel like searching magiccardsinfo.com for it." W/e, just my two cents. I guess since people tends toward being lazy I guess I can start doing it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-04 7:14 pm 

http://manabase.com/autocard.php

No exuse anymore to not tag lists.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-04 7:17 pm 

Ugh.......

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-04 8:17 pm 

sonofrahzeem wrote:
Lawl, tagging a card when people can use a website to read what the card is. Tagging seems like it's more on the lazy man's wayof saying - "I really don't feel like searching magiccardsinfo.com for it." W/e, just my two cents. I guess since people tends toward being lazy I guess I can start doing it.

People are far more likely to give you opinions when they don't have to spend twenty minutes looking up half the cards in your deck.

Retired decks:
Scion, of the Ur-Dragon-Dragons, Dragons everywhere
Wort, Boggart Auntie-Goblin Shenanigans
Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer-I will Prevail

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-05 12:30 pm 

Meh

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-05 1:48 pm 

I've incorporated Mesti's and Filth's suggestions. Thanks, guys!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-05 1:51 pm 

Fugu wrote:
I've incorporated Mesti's and Filth's suggestions. Thanks, guys!

What about my suggestions?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-05 3:01 pm 

I would add that if people are looking for help on their decklist, don't just post a well-organized list and then say, "please help!". A lot of us are busy as it is, and it is a lot more enjoyable to help people (i.e. it feels much less like work) when you know what they need help with. "I want my deck to play better" isn't a great deal of help either. Tell people what you want help with, or what you're having trouble with. Are you having issues with mana (quantity/color/both)? Dealing with a specific card type or strategy? Having political issues?

Like Fugu said, more information is always better.

Edit: One more thing. I would encourage people to take part in compilation mega-threads with a particular general, especially when that general lends itself to a common theme. A great example is this decklist thread for Mayael the Anima. Although lengthy, this thread contains a plethora of knowledge about Mayael as a general, and has become a great resource for anyone looking to have her lead them into battle.

These compilation mega-threads also cut down on total posts in the decklist forum, make it easier for people looking for help, as well as increase the likelihood that someone will look at, and comment on, your list.

Hazezon Tamar - Tokens!
Nicol Bolas - Creatureless!
Kresh, the Bloodbraided - Red Zone Aggression!
Teneb, the Harvester - Graveyard!
Sharuum the Hegemon - Artifacts!
Experiment Kraj - +1/+1 counters!
Jaya Ballard, Task Mage - Big Red!
Oros, the Avenger - Stuff!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-05 4:12 pm 

Quote:
What about my suggestions?
I ignored them, naturally! ahahah jst trollin u....

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-05 6:34 pm 

Cervid wrote:
Edit: One more thing. I would encourage people to take part in compilation mega-threads with a particular general, especially when that general lends itself to a common theme. A great example is this decklist thread for Mayael the Anima. Although lengthy, this thread contains a plethora of knowledge about Mayael as a general, and has become a great resource for anyone looking to have her lead them into battle.

These compilation mega-threads also cut down on total posts in the decklist forum, make it easier for people looking for help, as well as increase the likelihood that someone will look at, and comment on, your list.

I agree 100%. We should probably start a compelation thread on each of the most popular generals, Sharuum, Kresh and other similar popular generals.

Decks

Balthor The Defiled - Braaaaiiinnnnssss....
Rith, the Awakener - Naya Goodstuffs
Geth, Lord of the Vault - Mono Black Recursion

Offline Profile