Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-18 7:48 pm

Post subject: Mayael the 5-Power Stompy
AgePosted: 2010-Aug-06 1:23 pm 

I see a number of Mayael decks around here, and seeing as how I'm new here I figured I'd post my own Mayael deck :wink:

General: Mayael the Anima

Creatures: (32)
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Angelic Arbiter
Avacyn, Angel of Hope
Avenger of Zendikar
Balefire Dragon
Baneslayer Angel
Bogardan Hellkite
Drumhunter
Engulfing Slagwurm
Eternal Witness
Farhaven Elf
Flametongue Kavu
Genesis
Inferno Titan
Moldgraf Monstrosity
Rampaging Baloths
Scourge of Kher Ridges
Silklash Spider
Spearbreaker Behemoth
Stonecloaker
Terastodon
Thundermaw Hellkite
Utvara Hellkite
Vigor
Weathered Wayfarer
Windbrisk Raptor
Wood Elves
Woodfall Primus
Worldspine Wurm
Wurmcoil Engine
Xenagos, God of Revels
Yosei, the Morning Star

Sorceries: (11)
All Suns' Dawn
Austere Command
Cultivate
Harmonize
Hour of Revelation
Kodama's Reach
Recross the Paths
Rishkar's Expertise
Skyshroud Claim
Tooth and Nail
Wrath of God

Instants: (8)
Beast Within
Eladamri's Call
Krosan Grip
Path to Exile
Return to Dust
Swords to Plowshares
Wild Ricochet
Worldly Tutor

Enchantments: (4)
Lurking Predators
Mirari's Wake
Night Soil
Sylvan Library

Artifacts: (8)
Basilisk Collar
Illusionist's Bracers
Lightning Greaves
Mana Vault
Relic of Progenitus
Scroll Rack
Sol Ring
Sword of Feast and Famine

Lands: (36)
Forests x4
Plains x4
Mountains x4
Command Tower
Evolving Wilds
Fire-lit Thicket
Jungle Shrine
Kessig Wolf Run
Kor Haven
Miren, the Moaning Well
Mosswort Bridge
Raging Ravine
Rugged Prairie
Sacred Foundry
Savannah
Slayers' Stronghold
Stirring Wildwood
Stomping Ground
Strip Mine
Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
Sunpetal Grove
Taiga
Tectonic Edge
Temple Garden
Windswept Heath
Wooded Bastion
Wooded Foothills

The approach to playing this deck is as one might expect: beat the snot out of the opponents. The joy of playing the deck, for me, is the subtle nuance of how to give the beatdown. I like having Vigor out with either Scourge of Kher Ridges or Silklash Spider for getting my creatures bigger. Better yet I added a Basilisk Collar so that when I use Scourge of Kher Ridges everything else that isn't mine dies while I gain a hysterical amount of life. The enchantments in this deck help out tremendously. I don't think this deck would be as big a threat without them. One of favorite ways of bringing on the beats is to Tooth and Nail out both Spearbreaker Behemoth and Vigor. Oh how I love indestructible creatures!

Recent Changes
Regrowth --> Eternal Witness
Greater Good --> Rishkar's Expertise
Akroma's Vengeance --> Hour of Revelation

~ Rhys the Redeemed - Tokens... Why do they keep coming!?
~ Bosh, Iron Golem - Legend of the Iron Giants
~ Damia, Sage of Stone - All Creatures Great & Small

Last edited by TheDoctor on 2017-Aug-26 1:49 am, edited 33 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mayael the 5-Power Stompy
AgePosted: 2010-Aug-09 8:57 am 

TheDoctor wrote:
One of favorite ways of bringing on the beats is to Wild Pair out both Spearbreaker Behemoth and Novablast Wurm.

How does that work?

No Lurking Predators?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Aug-09 10:49 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:
One of favorite ways of bringing on the beats is to Wild Pair out both Spearbreaker Behemoth and Novablast Wurm.

How does that work?

No Lurking Predators?

I imagine that he meant Tooth and Nail, but I could be wrong.

As far as the deck goes. I would think that Austere Command is an upgrade to Martial Coup, is it just a card availability issue? On a similar vein, I would prefer Restock or All Suns' Dawn to Recollect. I agree with the Inclusion of Lurking Predators, I would personally cut Mighty Emergence for it. Putting that aside, the deck looks pretty sweet, anything that can reliably trigger Mayael's Aria is bound to be fun and I have always had a soft spot for Vigor.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Aug-09 12:23 pm 

You're a green deck and you have to use Pilgrim's Eye for mana fixing? Kodama's Reach, Explosive Vegetation, Ondu Giant, and Cultivate are all much better.

4] Mayael the Anima (Fatties FTW!)
5] Omnath, Locus of Mana (Big Green Men)
6] Oros, The Avenger (Rock Burn)
7] Savra, Queen of the Golgari (Token Snack)
8] Rafiq of the Many (One Man, Alone)
9] Reaper King (Taste the EPIC!)
10] Uril, the Miststalker (Dark Rafiq)

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Aug-09 5:35 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

How does that work?

Mighty Emergence? You don't have to target the card in your library, so changing the total P/T before Wild Pair resolves should work.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Aug-09 9:52 pm 

Heh, I'm sorry I was mixing up my references a bit. :oops: I meant "Tooth and Nail" but actually was recalling a time when I had Mighty Emergence out with Wild Pair (which it what I chose to do). I had a couple other creatures out and made them indestructible, then attacked with everyone. Novablast Wurm cleared the opponents' board and I made some serious headway. Imma go fix that!

I didn't like the idea of Lurking Predators when, at least in my opinion, Wild Pair was better. A great number of the creatures in my deck are either 5/5 or 6/6 which makes Wild Pair a better 6 mana enchantment. When I made this deck I was looking to go as economical as possible, which meant no Austere Command, no Baneslayer (a number of people play Invasion/Planar Chaos dragons), no fetch lands. I lucked out considerably with Wrath of God and Arid Mesa (a friend selling off his collection) and the Ravnica dual lands were an impulse buy at a card shop (didn't have dinner money for a while after that). Card availability was definitely the deciding factor for a number of the cards.

As for Pilgrim's Eye, the reason for that is if I have an opening hand with no green mana producers. So I can work off a hand w/ 2 Mountains and a Reliquary Tower. It's helped me a bit actually, I'd have white or red lands but couldn't dig for any Forests.

Adam wrote:
Putting that aside, the deck looks pretty sweet, anything that can reliably trigger Mayael's Aria is bound to be fun and I have always had a soft spot for Vigor.

Why thanks 8) I too like Vigor and the way it can just break a game in half. Ever thought Mayael could win a game with General damage in two swings? Yeah, apparently neither did my opponent. Chump blocking a Kozilek with Mayael produces such results! Not to mention the benefit it gives all those Plant tokens made by Avenger of Zendikar. Scourge of Kher Ridges gets ridiculous at that point and my opponents start looking for WoG. :lol:

I replaced Rampant Growth with Cultivate (finally opened one). I also just lucked out and got a Gaea's Revenge from a draft :D Finally, a Wild Pair target for Borborygmos! I'm gonna keep a small record of recent changes in the main post.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Aug-09 11:40 pm 

TheDoctor wrote:
As for Pilgrim's Eye, the reason for that is if I have an opening hand with no green mana producers. So I can work off a hand w/ 2 Mountains and a Reliquary Tower. It's helped me a bit actually, I'd have white or red lands but couldn't dig for any Forests.

My standard answer to that in a game would be to muligan said hand because that still leaves you short a color with which to cast other spells. At least the other ones accelerate you on land drops. I think situation with no green mana available is pretty unlikely and you can just use your free mulligan to get you out of it.

4] Mayael the Anima (Fatties FTW!)
5] Omnath, Locus of Mana (Big Green Men)
6] Oros, The Avenger (Rock Burn)
7] Savra, Queen of the Golgari (Token Snack)
8] Rafiq of the Many (One Man, Alone)
9] Reaper King (Taste the EPIC!)
10] Uril, the Miststalker (Dark Rafiq)

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Nov-09 12:08 am 

I've made some small modifications to the deck.

Martial Coup -> Austere Command
Mighty Emergence -> Ayumi, the Last Visitor
Recollect -> All Suns' Dawn

I'm tentatively using Ayumi, the Last Visitor until I obtain a Primeval Titan... which I still can't quite afford. It's been a long time since I took note of who in my group plays Legendary lands... so for now, it's a 7/3 beat stick with an up-side.

The deck keeps losing its creatures before I can make a defensive wall or offensive alpha strike. I want something that'll punish my opponents for clearing my board... I have a Vicious Shadows sitting around, but I'm not sure that's enough or even the right fix. Maybe I need more creatures and a means to tutor up a Lurking Predators? Genesis Wave?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Nov-09 12:37 am 

TheDoctor wrote:
Maybe I need more creatures and a means to tutor up a Lurking Predators? Genesis Wave?
Academy What's-her-face?
Dammit...
Anyway, they sweep, she dies, you exile her to tutor Lurking/Vicious directly into play.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Nov-09 3:35 am 

Daf wrote:
Academy What's-her-face?

Academy Rector

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Nov-11 2:06 am 

Goblin Maniac wrote:
Daf wrote:
Academy What's-her-face?

Academy Rector

Academy Rector is in my Mayael deck, excellent for searching up Lurking Predators, Mirari's Wake, Cream of the Crop, Greater Good, or Aura Shards. Also, the Rector is a great deterrent; go ahead, attack me, I'll block and get something that could win me this game! Lurking Predators has definitely become the MVP of this deck, with Cream of the Crop (with Lurking P. or my general in play) coming in second place.

Pretty nice list of creatures you've got here. There's a 54+ page Mayael thread on here that's worth looking at. Some of the regular contributors to that thread have helped my Mayael deck immensely! Here's one thing I've learned for sure from there that has helped me a lot: More Wrath of God effects. I know it's counter-intuitive to the theme of the deck; I want more (and larger) creatures than my opponents. But you can't always get there, and you can't count on someone else to sweep when YOU need it!

Only other definite substitution I'd make looking at your initial list is Breath of Life -> Miraculous Recovery. One mana more for a +1+1 counter AND instant speed? Yes please!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Nov-29 9:38 pm 

Alright so I've made some changes to the deck.

Gaea's Revenge -> Primeval Titan (Finally got one! :D )
Ayumi, the Last Visitor -> Academy Rector
Mayael's Aria -> Vicious Shadows
Journeyer's Kite -> Skyshroud Claim

This deck needed a Primeval Titan, and I'm glad I finally got one. Ayumi and Gaea's Revenge were nice fatties but a bit lacking. Not too many legendary lands to be walking and the Revenge makes my Loxodon Warhammer cry. Academy Rector is great whenever it hits the field usually getting me Mirari's Wake. It pains me to take out Mayaels's Aria but it always seemed to be a dead draw and had me wishing it were something else. I'm moving the Journeyer's Kite to my Razia, Boros BURNINATOR deck in the making, so Skyshroud Claim is there until I decide what is best to go in there (either a replacement Kite or a Saltblast).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Nov-29 9:51 pm 

Daf wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:
Maybe I need more creatures and a means to tutor up a Lurking Predators? Genesis Wave?
Academy What's-her-face?
Dammit...
Anyway, they sweep, she dies, you exile her to tutor Lurking/Vicious directly into play.

Rayne, Academy Chancellor

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Nov-29 10:06 pm 

A few random suggestions from someone who's been playing against a Mayael deck quite a bit lately:

Lurking Predators is absolutely nuts if you regularly play with 4+ players. It's a very strong card that is very good in your deck, and you'd be crazy not to try running it.

Vagrant Plowbeasts are silly, but on a good day they do an excellent Spearbreaker Behemoth impression. I'd recommend them as a second option.

Blazing Archon is an awesome Mayael target, and is positively unfair with Spearbreaker in play.

Finally, Hamletback Goliath has proven suprisingly powerful in our group. Given the number of huge creatures hitting the board, he is often a one-hit kill the turn after you play him.

If you're looking for cards to cut, the first things I would take out are:
BlitzHellion
Trailblazer's Boots
Pure // Simple
Lava Burst
Rith, the Awakener

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-10 5:37 pm 

phrank wrote:
Pretty nice list of creatures you've got here. There's a 54+ page Mayael thread on here that's worth looking at. Some of the regular contributors to that thread have helped my Mayael deck immensely! Here's one thing I've learned for sure from there that has helped me a lot: More Wrath of God effects. I know it's counter-intuitive to the theme of the deck; I want more (and larger) creatures than my opponents. But you can't always get there, and you can't count on someone else to sweep when YOU need it!

I second that, ow, wait, may just have been the one to originally propose it in the now 57 page topic ;). Great way of putting it though! I love when they sweep, pretty much at any time, but I'd certainly make sure to be capable to do it when I need it. Fatties, sweep, fatties, sweep, till I have cards left and they don't, then as much fatties as I can muster and hope for the best. Works like a charm for me.

The plowbeasts can indeed do a pretty good impression, though deathless angel's is mighty fine as well.

You'd be very welcome in the big topic.

I dance all night and I sleep all day

3 Steps Ahead - I'm A Gabber

Automatically add card tags to the card names in any text:
http://manabase.com/autocard.php

Offline Profile