Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-17 6:03 pm

Post subject: Brainstorming Sisay, Weatherlight Captain Superfriends
AgePosted: 2019-May-26 1:41 am 

Hi everyone.

For a number of years I've been planning on building a five colour Superfriends Commander deck. The plan was always to use Sliver Queen as the Commander as she could pump out token blockers to help protect my Planeswalkers, as well as possibly get infinite mana off of Mana Echoes. With Sliver Queen having jumped in price recently, I'm tempted to sell my copy off and change the deck's Commander to someone else. With the recent spoiler, I looked at Sisay, Weatherlight Captain and wondered if she could be used as a decent Superfriends Commander in place of Sliver Queen.

My main thought of why Sisay could be good in this role is that she could be used to tutor to the battlefield one of the War of the Spark Planeswalkers with a static effect in response to an opponent casting a particular spell or using a particular ability. Specifically:

Obviously the deck would need to have ways to pump up Sisay's power outside of having Legendary permanents, but that shouldn't be too difficult. A lot of Planeswalkers give +1/+1 counters (mostly Ajanis) and a few give Emblems that boost power, plus there are non-Planeswalker ways to boost her power.

Additionally, she could tutor a non-Planeswalker Legendary permanent to the battlefield that could deal with The Immortal Sun which would otherwise shut down a Superfriends deck. Things like Joven, Legacy Weapon, Mangara of Corondor, and/or Zacama, Primal Calamity would work (though for the ones that tap I'd need to do it in the End Step before my turn begins for best effect).

As I'd want to keep mana up for using Sisay's tutor ability, I think I'd want as many ways to Flash in cards (mostly Planeswalkers) so that I can still use the mana to cast spells even if there isn't a need for me to tutor a War of the Spark Planeswalker. Alchemist's Refuge, Emergence Zone, Leyline of Anticipation, Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage, and Vedalken Orrery could all help with this.

I'm not interested in going for an Atraxa, Praetors' Voice deck as I don't own one (I missed out on buying the Commander 2016 precons and don't fancy paying the cost to buy her as a single), plus I want to be able to use Urza, Academy Headmaster in the deck if my opponents allow me to use silver-bordered cards so it would need to have a WUBRG colour identity.

Is there anything I'm missing here? Is there a better Legend with WUBRG colour identity that I could use? Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Brainstorming Sisay, Weatherlight Captain Superfriends
AgePosted: 2019-May-26 2:58 pm 

I'll be honest - this deck sounds absolutely miserable to play against. Superfriends is right up there with Grouphug on my Least Favorite Archetypes list. Neither beat out STAX, but basically what you're proposing here is taking it to the next level and having Cock-blocking Superfriends. (Meanwhile, at the Hall of the Gatewatch, Ajani burst into the room just as Jace and Liliana were about to get busy)

Also, tutor generals are miserable because of the insane amount of time everyone has to sit there watching you rifle through your deck for the next silver bullet, shuffle up, etc. And it's instant speed, so it's not like you can be accelerating the process by searching while other people's turns go.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but unless you play with some serious masochists, this is the kind of deck that will not make you friends.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Brainstorming Sisay, Weatherlight Captain Superfriends
AgePosted: 2019-May-29 11:46 am 

One techy building trick you might try is running all the junky legendary lands (like the Legends uncommon cycle) to give you some free ways to pump Sisay. The "Oath of..." cycle of enchantments might be pretty good too.

Edit: I should read cards better. Number of COLORS, not number of. Bleh

Offline Profile