Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-16 6:31 pm

Post subject: Jeskai Spellslinger Voltron (Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest)
AgePosted: 2018-Nov-29 10:48 pm 

Commander - (1)
1 Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest

Creatures - (12)
1 Blistercoil Weird
1 Feather, the Redeemed
1 Gelectrode
1 Guttersnipe
1 Jori En, Ruin Diver
1 Simian Spirit Guide
1 Leonin Battlemage
1 Chartooth Cougar
1 Niv-Mizzet, Parun
1 Shoreline Ranger
1 The Locust God
1 Eternal Dragon

Instants - (20)
1 Ajani's Presence
1 Crimson Wisps
1 Emerge Unscathed
1 Expedite
1 Leap
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Pull from Eternity
1 Samut's Sprint
1 Shadow Rift
1 Blazing Shoal
1 Boros Charm
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Gilded Light
1 Lazotep Plating
1 Shelter
1 Teferi's Time Twist
1 Valorous Stance
1 Orim's Thunder
1 Fire // Ice
1 Turnabout

Sorceries - (20)
1 Careful Study
1 Crash Through
1 Faithless Looting
1 Fragmentize
1 Ponder
1 Preordain
1 Rile
1 Slip Through Space
1 Steelshaper's Gift
1 Warlord's Fury
1 Epic Experiment
1 Flood of Recollection
1 Shreds of Sanity
1 Past in Flames
1 Pull from the Deep
1 Seize the Day
1 Time Wipe
1 Waves of Aggression
1 Terminus
1 Fury of the Horde

Artifacts - (12)
1 Paradise Mantle
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Skullclamp
1 Sol Ring
1 Azorius Signet
1 Boros Signet
1 Isochron Scepter
1 Izzet Signet
1 Runechanter's Pike
1 Chromatic Lantern
1 Sunforger
1 Paradox Engine

Enchantments - (5)
1 Flickering Ward
1 Mark of Fury
1 Dovin's Acuity
1 Jeskai Ascendancy
1 Spellweaver Volute

Lands - (30)
5 Island
5 Mountain
5 Plains
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Mystic Monastery
1 Azorius Chancery
1 Boros Garrison
1 Izzet Boilerworks
1 Glacial Fortress
1 Clifftop Retreat
1 Sulfur Falls
1 Swiftwater Cliffs
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Steam Vents
1 Lonely Sandbar
1 Forgotten Cave
1 Secluded Steppe

Credit goes to Matthew Orletti for the original build.

Strategy is to get enough Prowess triggers with Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest to swing for 21 or more Commander damage to someone at the table while using his second ability to give himself double strike. Seize the Day, Waves of Aggression, and Fury of the Horde are in here to go after more opponents.

One of my friends at my locals also ran a similar build at one point that had Soulfire Grand Master as an infinite mana combo enabler with Dragonrage granted you have 4 or more creatures on the battlefield. Jeskai Ascendancy also allows for some stupid shenanigans as well.

Any help, advice, comments, and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

"Stax is the hero we need but don't deserve. Too many people just play dumb stuff and often games devolve into "who does their dumb stuff first". People essentially just goldfishing. Great social format you got here Sheldon." - illakunsaa

Last edited by Card Slinger J on 2019-May-14 4:59 pm, edited 31 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Spellslinger Voltron (Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest)
AgePosted: 2018-Dec-01 1:26 pm 

Consider Distortion Strike, Artful Dodge and Haze of Rage. Reusability is a really handy thing to have.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Dec-01 2:21 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Consider Distortion Strike, Artful Dodge and Haze of Rage. Reusability is a really handy thing to have.

Yeah, I was gonna say Haze of Rage. It's really good.

I'd also try to find room for Murmuring Mystic, and swap out Melek for The Locust God. Melek can be really powerful, but unless you're max'ed out on Brainstorm/Sensei's Top effects, you're going to whiff with his copy ability a disappointing amount of time. It's also a non-bo with prowess (the copies don't count as being cast). The Locust God fits better with your overall game plan, keeps the flow of pump spells going, and is annoying to get rid of to boot.

I'd also cut your 5 least favorite instants/sorcs to run the spread of banned/restricted cantrips (Treasure Cruise, Dig through Time, Ponder, Preordain, Brainstorm).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Dec-31 4:08 am 

I tried Murmuring Mystic though I didn't like it as much so I'm currently testing Laboratory Maniac in case I deck myself with The Locust God and Skullclamp though I'm probably going to take Laboratory Maniac out for Tradewind Rider seeing how abusive his ability is with Jeskai Ascendancy. Last couple of times I cast Locust God I was either one turn away from comboing off with one of my opponents winning or I was denied the ability to draw when a Muldrotha, the Gravetide player cast Possessed Portal.

This deck tends to run out of gas fairly quickly especially If I have the ability to potentially one shot someone when I'm not ready for it however this isn't the kind of deck where I can afford to wait for the ideal board state to start taking action. One of the only times this deck actually won was when one of my friends was borrowing it as he actually managed to one shot everyone at the table due to having better luck drawing all the cards he needed at the time.

"Stax is the hero we need but don't deserve. Too many people just play dumb stuff and often games devolve into "who does their dumb stuff first". People essentially just goldfishing. Great social format you got here Sheldon." - illakunsaa

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-02 3:44 pm 

Labman will be bad unless you actually consistently deck yourself. I see this as unlikely, given that you're basically relying on having Locust God and Skullclamp to draw cards. This is why Kemev suggested the draw spells like Dig Through Time - they help keep you in the game. You also should really reconsider Murmuring Mystic, and probably Monastery Mentor if you can find/afford one. You're already running YP, and redundancy on that effect is useful. You've got some pretty underwhelming creatures like Blistercoil Weird that you could easily ditch for better ones.

You could also consider the on-color Zenith spells (like Blue Sun's Zenith) as they will shuffle in for later re-use.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-03 1:35 pm 

Blistercoil Weird's mainly in here to combo with Paradise Mantle once I'm able to get Jeskai Ascendancy out. The thing is that I didn't want to go too crazy on creature token spam which is why I ended up replacing Murmuring Mystic for either Crackleburr or Tradewind Rider. I may actually go with Tradewind Rider since his activated ability is less restrictive.

I might end up adding Hanna, Ship's Navigator over Crackleburr to help get back Auras like Quicksilver Dagger and Spellweaver Volute from my graveyard though an Elixir of Immortality can do that slightly better. I also went ahead and changed the Enchantment lineup to help avoid dead draws with the first ideas coming to mind being Trail of Evidence and Ocular Halo.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-04 4:31 pm 

Card Slinger J wrote:
Blistercoil Weird's mainly in here to combo with Paradise Mantle once I'm able to get Jeskai Ascendancy out.

That's.... really bad. You're running a terrible card to get marginal synergy out of an unimpressive equipment relying on having a 3rd card to do something not very powerful. Blistercoil and Paradise Mantle should probably both go. While we're on the subject, Nivix Guildmage isn't that exciting either. His abilities are expensive and a non-bo with your general since the copies will not trigger Prowess. Gelectrode is borderline, but at least can help mow down utility dorks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-08 4:24 pm 

Marginal synergy that relies heavily on cantrip spells as gas by the looks of things but works If I'm able to consistently draw into one cantrip spell after another. I made a few new changes to the deck though I'm tempted to add in cards with Transmute to help tutor out cards I need with Drift of Phantasms, Dizzy Spell, Muddle the Mixture, and Tolaria West.

Offline Profile