Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-25 1:12 pm

Post subject: Do my work for me because I'm lazy - 4 colour commanders
AgePosted: 2017-Nov-02 11:55 am 

Hey folks,

So I sat down yesterday and figured out what all the possible combinations of partner commanders are to make all the four-colour decks. But then my brain stalled and I couldn't actually think of which of those possible combinations actually work well together.

So, I'm calling on the collective experience and wisdom of all y'all (God help me). With the possible exception of "not-black" (Because I quite like the Kynaios and Tiro deck pretty much as it is), which commanders would you/do you run in your four colour decks? None of the other actual four colour commanders (possibly Saskia excepted) excite me very much.

What's good? What works? What would you do?

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Do my work for me because I'm lazy - 4 colour commanders
AgePosted: 2017-Nov-03 1:46 am 

Sounds like you need a lot of Storm Crows.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Nov-03 9:28 am 

Tana / Tymna ensure you draw 4 cards per turn.

Thrasios / Vial Smasher for big mana and combo decks. Both are mana sinks, Thrasios for the ability of course, and Vial Smasher for the X Spells (Stroke you for 100 cards, some rando takes that much damage?).

Thrasios plus any other 2 colors if you want an infinite mana combo commander in general.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Nov-03 10:43 am 

Right now I have Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist + Tymna the Weaver heading up an Curse deck in non-green, and I have a counterless keyword splicer Atraxa, Praetors' Voice in non-red.

As for the other colors, if I were to build them right now, non-blue would be Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper + Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder for Assault Formation and lifegain shenanigans, Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper + Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist for high toughness and power/toughness swapping. Probably wouldn't build both of those, but I have one toughness deck now (Sapling of Colfenor) and I really want to play some related cards outside of those colors sometime.

Non-black is probably the hardest for me, but I would probably build Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis and go for the most magical of Christmaslands with one of my favorite cards, Revel of the Fallen God.
Revel of the Fallen God + Swarm Intelligence + Mirari + Pyromancer's Goggles + Primal Wellspring + Cloven Casting + Doubling Season + Anointed Procession + Primal Vigor + Parallel Lives = 384 hasty Satyr tokens. Obviously that will never happen.

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Nov-04 3:43 am 

I've been wanting to build a WUBG deck around toughness matters, with a Zur the Enchanter subpackage, loosely based on that modern deck from a while back that ran Zur and Doran. Not sure which partners I'd use. Ikra Shidiqi is obvious, of course, but that'd back me into using that WU bird as the partner, which doesn't thrill me. I'd probably just go Thrasios/Tymna.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Nov-06 8:58 am 

I currently pilot a Bruseikra deck and it's easily my favorite deck that I've ever built. It's mostly based off Bruse's ability, getting as many creatures in the deck as I can to abuse that double strike trigger. I'd actually stay away from lifegain builds for these two, specifically because they do so much life gain themselves. The much more enjoyable option for me is to run all of the Sylvan Library and Dark Confidant effects that I can since the life cost almost literally nonexistent.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile