Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-18 8:41 pm

Post subject: Re: Ramos Golden Dragon Engine
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-22 11:29 am 

niheloim wrote:
I like the idea of cascade.

You can play the good cascade cards and Maelstrom Nexus.

If I were building Ramos, I think I would try my darnedest to fit the Alara Shard Charms and the Khans Wedge Charms... All ten. For the glory of gold.

Cascade and Charms are both really good. I didn't want to go too deep on either of them with my build, just out of personal preference. It seemed like the most direct route and I hoped I could make something a little different with mine. But I do have Maelstrom Nexus in my deck. It's super good.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-23 3:26 am 

Last Friday I started my games hoping the deck would prove fun to play... and it was.
But even more, it was powerful. Whenever the others let me untap with Ramos, he took over the whole game and won quickly. I'll highlight some cards I found valuable.

My record so far: 4 wins in four games.
First time, had to "waste" Deny Reality before casting Ramos - only to hit -> BBE -> Ardent Plea -> Coiling Oracle. Later I could Regrowth it and via Corpsejack Menace grew Ramos to a 20/20 (lesson: always consider using 5 counters to put back even more immediately.)

Second one: Progenitor Mimicked Biovisonary, Evilly Twinned. I could sacrifice the original to an edict and still win on my next end step... with Ramos already costing 10 or 12 mana

Third lesson: if Maelstrom Wanderer cascades into Congregation at Dawn, you simply win.

Fourth lesson: Conflux reads "{0}: search for any 5 nonland cards. Add 2 mana in any combination of colors." And also: opting for a defensive Gahiji might instead mean just enough damage to kill everyone else.

For reference: my Decklist

This deck is now in need of a REALLY cool name. And it will take the slot of my WUBRG-deck in the "Projeck 32" folder

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Last edited by Thor_Naadoh on 2017-Sep-23 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-23 9:50 am 

Thor_Naadoh wrote:
This deck is now in need of a REALLY cool name. And it will take the slot of my WUBRG-deck in the "Projeck 32" folder

Golden Shower? Because it's cascading? :lol: I probably shouldn't be laughing about that so much.

On Golden Wings? Not sure how to rate how 'cool' a name is.

I need to get some more testing in and see how I feel about my version. I definitely have to agree using 5 counters to immediately put on more is typically the correct move.

EDIT: on a more serious note, watching the anime Fate/Zero recently makes me wonder if it couldn't be called "Gate of Mercadia" or something, after the Gate of Babylon used by Gilgamesh as a pseudo-Noble Phantasm.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-23 5:01 pm 

Segrus wrote:
Golden Shower?

You hit it. An intelligent wordplay that doesn't feel dumb was exactly what I was looking for.

Generals:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-23 10:59 pm 

Thor_Naadoh wrote:
Segrus wrote:
Golden Shower?

You hit it. An intelligent wordplay that doesn't feel dumb was exactly what I was looking for.

:shock: Seriously? And here I was thinking that saying it might be slightly too crude for this forum.

Well, glad you like the name.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-24 4:26 am 

Maybe I would care if I were a native English speaker.
I am not, so...

Generals:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-24 4:44 am 

Thor_Naadoh wrote:
Maybe I would care if I were a native English speaker.
I am not, so...

Oh. *looks over at your location* Ah, I see. I feel the need to suggest you try looking it up so you won't be caught unawares, but it's up to you. I don't think using the name is any less clever once you know. I'd just feel a little bad if you ended up getting surprised.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-25 9:43 am 

Well, promised a write-up after I got a few more games in.

The deck is great when it's hitting on all cylinders (you know, like most decks), and has an abnormally high 'nova potential.' (Maelstrom Wanderer is every bit as nutty as he is anywhere else.) It turns out to be a bit more resilient than I thought, (10 mana at instant speed should have clued me in, but this was still pretty experimental at the time). Had exactly one game with mana problems, but that was more "didn't draw any (2 in 15 turns)" than "got color screwed".

Cute play: Someone tried to steal Ramos during my main phase (to prevent an "when a crature attacks" trigger from someone else's card), so I pulled off five counters, Hull Breached him, than recast him using the extra eight.

The deck's weakness is in topdeck mode. It topdecks significantly worse than other decks, and is usually the weakest at the table directly after a Planar Cleansing. To that end, I want to add a bit more 'raw card advantage' type spells, (ideally at instant speed to make use of Ramos mana off my own turn), and cut out some of the least helpful sorceries/creatures.

The other thing to note is that Ramos gets chump blocked a lot. (This might be feature, not a bug, I'm not sure yet.) I'm looking to slot in a bit of trample sources and see what happens.

My changes:

-Jhoira of the Ghitu (the deck doesn't seem to have real color issues, and drawing this to an empty board is absolutely awful)
-Taigam, Ojutai Master
-Ajani Unyielding
-Ajani, Valiant Protector

+Abzan Charm
+Vanish into Memory
+Reviving Vapors
+Selesnya Charm (Not sure if this is worth cascading into like the other 2-drops are.)

If I can get a copy, I want to fit in Sphinx's Revelation. (Probably instead of Vanish into Memory.) "Remove 5 counters: Draw 7, Gain 7" seems worthwhile, right?

PS: Also, 'Golden Showers,' hehe. Playing Magic for 20 years, but I'm still six.

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Tiana, Ship's Caretaker (Auras for Days)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-26 3:12 am 

I have no idea, why a sturdy tree like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albizia_inundata could be anything inappropriate...

Okay, to clear that one up: I already knew the words "golden shower" from Frank Zappa (Bobby Brown Goes Down is not exactly a nursery rhyme), so even not exactly knowing all connotations, I had a pretty good idea of what it could mean. I still find it fitting - the deck can get really nasty... and I am skipping all further puns now.

Generals:

Offline Profile