1 Dragonskull Summit
1 Rootbound Crag
1 Clifftop Retreat
1 Sulfur Falls
1 Isolated Chapel
1 Woodland Cemetery
1 Hinterland Harbor
1 Sunpetal Grove

The main goal of the deck is to clock in as much Commander damage with Karona, False God with a plethora of creature pump abilities with Power Armor (because we're 5 color), Wine of Blood and Iron, and Wildheart Invoker in order to win the game with enough evasion from Akroma's Memorial (for when I need to swing with my Saproling army), Power Matrix (If my Commander is swinging by herself), Excavator (which combos nicely with Prismatic Omen), and Key to the City which helps create a discard outlet for spells I run that have Flashback and Retrace. Maze of Ith, Kor Haven, and Homeward Path are the most important lands in this deck for keeping Karona, False God in check under my opponents' control and for good reason though I have been contemplating on running Terra Eternal to give my lands some extra protection against stuff like Strip Mine, Wasteland, and Ghost Quarter from wrecking my strategy right out of the gate.

After some playtesting results with the previous version I had for Karona, False God I had a very slow early to mid game with a lack of a solid mana curve to help smooth out my land base which is why I threw in Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, and Harrow for getting out my basic lands more efficiently unless I get the mana needed to cast my mana fixers with Crop Rotation, Sylvan Scrying, and Expedition Map fetching for my utility lands and check lands. The Vow cycle while solid with Karona, False God felt too slow to get off with Sovereigns of Lost Alara since I've only managed to get at least two Vows enchanted onto her before clocking in 21 or more Commander damage and even then I didn't want to go through the hassle of accidentally misplacing any of the Vows I have enchanted onto her let alone the Commander herself.

Glaring Spotlight, Archetype of Endurance, and Bonds of Mortality felt like dead cards in hand most of the time so I ended up replacing them for better cards. Shadow Rift, Dauthi Embrace, and Dauthi Trapper were mainly in the last version of this build solely to make use of Maze of Shadows with Karona, False God which didn't work out the way I intended due to being too narrow so they were also cut for better cards. The board wipes I tweaked up to ensure that my Commander doesn't die If she's under my control when I cast Cataclysmic Gearhulk or Razia's Purification given I Homeward Path Karona, False God in time while dealing with indestructible casting either Return to Dust, Sylvan Reclamation, or Forsake the Worldly.

With my opponents wanting to sacrifice Karona, False God under their control Supernatural Stamina, Angelic Renewal, and Saffi Eriksdotter were instant auto-includes. I had Assault Suit in the previous version but felt that much like with the Vows I didn't want to take the risk of accidentally misplacing it while it's under an opponent's control with my Commander. I was initially worried that I'd end up getting stuck with a Stasis build with a Voltron theme built in to anger players at the table which I'm glad it doesn't since things can get really annoying with Meekstone, Juntu Stakes, Crackdown, and Marble Titan which was the strategy I almost went with for this deck as a way to deter attacks by force even though it would slow them down from getting off specific creature based combos that require an activated ability to tap for them.

Turnabout, Awakening, and Seedborn Muse are mainly in here to help me reuse Maze of Ith, Kor Haven, and Homeward Path. I decided to include the Saproling creature token package with Aura Mutation, Aether Mutation, Death Mutation, Artifact Mutation, and Sprout Swarm mainly to give Karona, False God a way to swarm with her second ability making all my Saprolings 4/4's while swinging aside from going for Voltron with Akroma's Memorial making them lethal seeing as to how it could prove quite effective mid to late game. Thief of Blood I recently added to help deal with Superfriends where as Blinding Angel has amazing synergy with Karona, False God in the happen stance that I'm vulnerable to taking Commander damage from my own Commander under an opponents' control when I don't have a pillowfort card out in time.

Any other help, advice, and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

"Stax is the hero we need but don't deserve. Too many people just play dumb stuff and often games devolve into "who does their dumb stuff first". People essentially just goldfishing. Great social format you got here Sheldon." - illakunsaa

Last edited by Card Slinger J on 2017-Aug-21 6:53 pm, edited 52 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Karona, False God Voltron
AgePosted: 2017-Jul-10 10:19 pm 

Well if you're thinking about using Manabond, there's always Enter the Infinite and Amulet of Vigor. That'll get you a wincon with Maze's End. Though, that's a bit dangerous as someone can Beast Within one of your Guildgates...in which case the best thing to do is make sure that the card being put back on the top is Praetor's Counsel.

I wonder if Basandra, Battle Seraph wouldn't work better than Fumiko the Lowblood. Don't forget about Blazing Archon. Collective Restraint is also a card that might be of interest.

Don't forget about things that can make it indestructible.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Karona, False God Voltron
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-03 4:08 pm 

So after playing a few EDH/Commander games with one of my playgroups at my LGS I've recently came to the realization that Karona, False God just wasn't meant for the psuedo Voltron strategy that I was aiming for even though she's fun to play against and can help the board state to your opponents' benefit. That's why I'm going to be swapping her out for O-Kagachi, Vengeful Kami utilizing a Pillow Fort strategy to help keep myself at bay in order to keep my opponents off my back while setting up for a win con somehow. The main worry is that I might end up angering players in my playgroup so I'll need to weaken my deck to where they get as much benefit out of the game as I do.

I'm a bit worried that I may have angered my playgroup somewhat by casting too many board wipe spells without realizing that it ended up dragging the game for 3 hours. So the Commanders I went up against were Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist, Edgar Markov, and Inalla, Archmage Ritualist where Edgar Markov's board state was starting to get out of hand (not to mention Inalla, Archmage Ritualist's for awhile) and I asked the player who was running him If it was okay for me to cast the board wipe spell I had in hand being Balancing Act. So he said yeah and I went ahead and casted it not even realizing that it was going to drag the game as long as it did while I was still wide open for attacks while getting plenty of ramp but no spells to compensate.

A few turns later realizing that I should've been running more group hug cards to help accelerate the board state such as Howling Mine, Rites of Flourishing, Heartbeat of Spring, and Mana Flare the game was slowing to a crawl however eventually we were able to resolve the game with Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist as the victor. I almost manage to take out Inalla, Archmage Ritualist while Edgar Markov got me and Inalla, Archmage Ritualist to where it was just Edgar Markov and Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist. The Edgar Markov player was a little salty about me casting Balancing Act twice (second time with Past in Flames) and Cataclysmic Gearhulk once in the game but he enjoyed it and wasn't too upset with me so it was all good.

Oh well you live and learn...

"Stax is the hero we need but don't deserve. Too many people just play dumb stuff and often games devolve into "who does their dumb stuff first". People essentially just goldfishing. Great social format you got here Sheldon." - illakunsaa

Offline Profile