Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-18 8:58 am

Post subject: EnchantRitheth - Rith the Awakener Enchantress
AgePosted: 2015-May-13 1:01 pm 

Edits: wow, this originally referenced the tuck rule.

This list already dated again (it doesn't include updates from return to Dominaria, and I'm pretty sure I've switched cards around since then). The core concept is still solid though; use Rith to make tokens and beat face. It's a different take on most enchantress builds I've seen -- the main idea isn't to play aura Voltron like Uril, and it's not a defensive pillowfort deck either. Instead, the core engine of the deck is the red Theros gods, who are really get at murdering players. And unlike other aggressive midrange decks, the combination of high land count (with lots of fun utility lands) and heavy card draw means it rarely runs out of gas.

Rith, the Awakener
Creature (22)
1X Academy Rector
1X Acidic Slime
1X Arbor Elf
1X Argothian Enchantress
1X Avacyn's Pilgrim
1X Birds of Paradise
1X Courser of Kruphix
1X Eidolon of Blossoms
1X Elvish Mystic
1X Femeref Enchantress
1X Fyndhorn Elves
1X Heliod, God of the Sun
1X Iroas, God of Victory
1X Karametra, God of Harvests
1X Llanowar Elves
1X Mesa Enchantress
1X Nylea, God of the Hunt
1X Purphoros, God of the Forge
1X Reclamation Sage
1X Satyr Enchanter
1X Verduran Enchantress
1X Xenagos, God of Revels

Enchantment (24)
1X Aura of Silence
1X Aura Shards
1X Burgeoning
1X Enchantress's Presence
1X Font of Fertility
1X Glare of Subdual
1X Goblin Bombardment
1X Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip
1X Impact Tremors
1X In the Web of War
1X Khalni Heart Expedition
1X Mirari's Wake
1X Mirri's Guile
1X Mobilization
1X Night Soil
1X Prison Term
1X Rancor
1X Rest in Peace
1X Seal of Cleansing
1X Seal of Primordium
1X Sterling Grove
1X Stony Silence
1X Trace of Abundance
1X True Conviction

Sorcery (6)
1X Austere Command
1X Green Sun's Zenith
1X Idyllic Tutor
1X Martial Coup
1X Plea for Guidance
1X Wrath of God

Instant (5)
1X Boros Charm
1X Chord of Calling
1X Enlightened Tutor
1X Path to Exile
1X Swords to Plowshares

Artifact (3)
1X Hammer of Purphoros
1X Skullclamp
1X Spear of Heliod

Lands (39)
1X Battlefield Forge
1X Boros Garrison
1X Brushland
1X Canopy Vista
1X Cinder Glade
1X Clifftop Retreat
1X Dryad Arbor
6X Forest
1X Gavony Township
1X Gruul Turf
1X Karplusan Forest
1X Kessig Wolf Run
1X Krosan Verge
1X Mountain
1X Needle Spires
4X Plains
1X Raging Ravine
1X Rootbound Crag
1X Sacred Foundry
1X Selesnya Sanctuary
1X Serra's Sanctum
1X Slayers' Stronghold
1X Spinerock Knoll
1X Stirring Wildwood
1X Stomping Ground
1X Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
1X Sunpetal Grove
1X Temple Garden
1X Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree
1X Windswept Heath
1X Wooded Foothills

old list
General: Rith, the Awakener

Enchantresses
Argothian Enchantress
Enchantress's Presence
Femeref Enchantress
Mesa Enchantress
Eidolon of Blossoms
Verduran Enchantress

Enchantment Creatures
Courser of Kruphix
Heliod, God of the Sun
Iroas, God of Victory
Karametra, God of Harvests
Nylea, God of the Hunt
Purphoros, God of the Forge
Xenagos, God of Revels

Other Enchants
Burgeoning
Exploration
Font of Fertility
Khalni Heart Expedition
Mirari's Wake
Sylvan Library
Trace of Abundance
Spear of Heliod
Bow of Nylea
Hammer of Purphoros
Seal of Cleansing
Seal of Primordium
Aura of Silence
Rancor
Moldervine Cloak
Impact Tremors
Mirri's Guile
Marshal's Anthem
Night Soil
Aura Shards
Sterling Grove
Prison Term
In the Web of War
True Conviction
Goblin Bombardment

Other Creatures
Birds of Paradise
Avacyn's Pilgrim
Elvish Mystic
Arbor Elf
Llanowar Elves
Fyndhorn Elves
Academy Rector
Eternal Witness
Reclamation Sage
Sun Titan
Acidic Slime

Sorceries
Replenish
Martial Coup
Cleansing Meditation
Wrath of God
Idyllic Tutor
Plea for Guidance
Green Sun's Zenith

Instants
Path to Exile
Swords to Plowshares
Boros Charm
Chord of Calling
Enlightened Tutor

Artifacts
Skullclamp

Lands
Serra's Sanctum
Strip Mine
Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree
Raging Ravine
Stirring Wildwood
Gavony Township
Kessig Wolf Run
Slayers' Stronghold
Spinerock Knoll
Krosan Verge
Dryad Arbor
lands that tap for colors, etc

Last edited by Kemev on 2019-May-30 9:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Rith the Awakener Enchantress (EnchantRitheth?)
AgePosted: 2015-May-13 10:09 pm 

Maybe add a Dowsing Shaman for repeatable recursion?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-14 6:20 am 

I love it. I have a Rith deck (here). Or rather, had, because I changed to Marath. Replenish is a thing though, and I'll give you kudos for the sheer amount of enchantments you've worked into the list. My current list looks nothing like what you are running, but you do have Sun Titan and Replenish, and besides my "is it a dragon" criterium I made the deck based on "is it CMC<=3" and "is enchantment". One of the packages I didn't have room for is an aura package centered on Umbra Mystic and Brood Keeper, and besides aura's it'd include stuff like Eidolon of Countless Battles and bestow creatures. Your main creatures are gods though, so that seems a bit pointless. I figured out that bestow/eidolons and totem armor is, well, dumb.

It did lead me to Lightform and Mastery of the Unseen. I think manifest would be pretty good in your deck, as most cards are either a creature (so you can unmorph it) or enchantment (so you can Replenish it), so there's little fear you'd be throwing away cards you need. The thing is: manifest isn't so great with Rith, as you want colored permanents.

One card you should consider is Cloudstone Curio. It's not an enchantment, but it lets you replay your enchantments for maximum profit. It's very nice if you have some token makers or creatures with flash, because then you can save your dudes from removal.

On to some random suggestions:
Nature's Will is awesome
Sylvan Library best draw for the deck
Land Tax ramp
Greater Good I'm beginning to think you're ditching staples on purpose
Aura Shards OK, I got the message
Archetype of Endurance it's expensive, so maybe the other archetypes are more your thing. I run this one, as it makes my stuff more resilient. One of the side benefits of:
Sterling Grove I'd run this over Idyllic Tutor
Reconnaissance I'm only mentioning it because I know someone else will. Also, it's an enchantment.
Natural Order I love the card, but if you don't you can always run:
Defense of the Heart (http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc/9276_A_Total_Defense_Of_The_Heart.html is one of my favorite M:TG articles of all time) Also, it's an enchantment.
Opalescence because why not? It's not a staple, that's for sure

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-15 2:44 am 

Auratog. Having a free sac outlet for enchantments that might otherwise get exiled is handy, plus he can become very very large with Rancor (sac rancor to give him +2/+2, recast rancor, sac it again...)

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-15 3:52 am 

Faith Healer is a must in any enchantment-based deck that I build. Exile protection and some excellent lifegain in a pinch.

Also, great combo material with Replenish and... well from just your list, Forgeborn Oreads.

Cathars' Crusade is equally amazing in any deck that has potential to crap out tokens.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-15 5:50 am 

Superstrength79 wrote:
Faith Healer is a must in any enchantment-based deck that I build. Exile protection and some excellent lifegain in a pinch.
One of the very first "real" decks I built in my early days of Magic was a G/W enchantress deck. It was bad, to be sure, as I was still very much a scrub, but I had at least graduated past the point I thought Scaled Wurm was playable in 60-card decks. Instead I had graduated to thinking Endless Wurm was good, and wanted to build around Endless Wurm and Rancor.

Anyway, point being, the very first "engine" I ever designed in my Magic career was based around Faith Healer, Argothian Enchantress and Rancor. Basically this combination of cards equated to "G: Gain 1 life and draw a card." Which, even today, I think is a pretty nifty engine, and I still shoehorn it into any sort of enchantress build I make to this day. Though for a more aggressive deck I tend to use Auratog in place of Faith Healer.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-15 9:36 am 

I was thinking Assemble the Legion might be a good card to consider, but I'm not sure where you'd put it. Concerted Effort might be a good choice though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-16 5:41 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:
useful stuff!

A couple of those things I didn't feel like bothering with... I thought about the Nature's Will/Bear Umbra + Relentless Assault combo (I like it 'cause the pieces are all still great as stand-alones), but I've already played a few different combo focused lists with Rith (including that one). Greater Good I don't like here very well... I don't want to sacrifice my gods, and most of my other creatures are useless rubes.

Library and Aura Shards I just plain forgot... this is why I post lists, 'cause I need proofreads :)

Sterling Grove I don't currently own, but should probably pick up. (It's not quite better than Idyllic Tutor... remember Grove puts the card on top of your library...)

Manifest is a tricky card to figure out in EDH. If anyone else has played with it, I'd be curious to hear how it turned out.

Faith Healer is the kind of card I think I want to avoid... instead of building defensive engines, I want to skip straight to murderating. Besides, True Conviction picks up stupid amounts of life once it's on the table.

Speaking of True Conviction, I think I also need more devotion enablers. Privileged Position seems good... what else?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-03 4:32 pm 

I need to fit an Impact Tremors into this list; what can I cut?

Also, this deck may want to be Abzan instead of Naya... hmmm...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-04 4:54 am 

Kemev wrote:

I'm not sold on True Conviction, because it costs a trillion mana, half of which is white. Marshal's Anthem doesn't satify me either, because, well, the Anthem part is weak, and the Marshal part is tied to kicker. That means the does exactly nothing when I bring it back with Replenish. To add insult to injury, it's not Sun Titanable. If only it did nothing but was Sun Titanable... Then again, it's solid recursion tied to a useful effect.

Otherwise, maybe you could cut some ramp? It's hard to judge without playing the deck and knowing your playgroup, but you run more ramp than I'd run.

If Impact Tremors is what you're looking for, maybe you want Furystoke Giant as well?

Kemev wrote:

That's funny: when I suggested to add black, you responded with "how many black cards would you add?". So. How many black cards would you add? Also, what would be your general? I'm not sold on Abzan generals. Rith is cool because it's Rith (although I completely understand why you'd be dissatisfied with it, and every deck needs black because black is the best).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-04 10:58 pm 

I would cut Ordeal of Nylea for Impact Tremors. Both draw you a card off of the enchantress(es), but the ordeal seems to have minimal advantage compared to tremors.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-05 5:50 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:
Kemev wrote:

I'm not sold on True Conviction, because it costs a trillion mana, half of which is white. Marshal's Anthem doesn't satify me either, because, well, the Anthem part is weak, and the Marshal part is tied to kicker. That means the does exactly nothing when I bring it back with Replenish. To add insult to injury, it's not Sun Titanable. If only it did nothing but was Sun Titanable... Then again, it's solid recursion tied to a useful effect.

True Conviction is a card I'm keen to keep; it was really solid in past Rith builds, 'cause giving Rith double strike is great, and it makes the tokens MUCH more threatening. It also has extra upside for being a strong devotion enabler.

I did pick up a Sterling Grove, so maybe it replaces Marshal's Anthem.

Shabbaman wrote:
Otherwise, maybe you could cut some ramp? It's hard to judge without playing the deck and knowing your playgroup, but you run more ramp than I'd run.

I maxed out on mana dorks 'cause I want to try to cast an Enchantress on t2 as often as possible. On top of that, I have a lot of mana sinks in Rith and the gods, so it's not gonna go to waste.

Shabbaman wrote:
Kemev wrote:

That's funny: when I suggested to add black, you responded with "how many black cards would you add?". So. How many black cards would you add? Also, what would be your general? I'm not sold on Abzan generals. Rith is cool because it's Rith (although I completely understand why you'd be dissatisfied with it, and every deck needs black because black is the best).

I cobbled together a Karador build... there's a ton of spectacular black cards to run. Doomwake Giant, Grim Guardian, and Agent of Erebos are all awesome, you get board control with stuff like Grave Pact, a ton of card draw, and the Animate Dead line of cards.

The big problem I see with black instead of red is that the black gods are much weaker than the red gods. Purphoros, Xenagos and Iroas are killtacular murder gods. They make Mogis look like the God of Papercuts. They are the original Deathwatch Kill Team. Their art should be the label for Killian's Irish Red.

Meanwhile, the black gods... net cards sometimes?

Superstrength79 wrote:
I would cut Ordeal of Nylea for Impact Tremors. Both draw you a card off of the enchantress(es), but the ordeal seems to have minimal advantage compared to tremors.

I think this is probably the swap I'll go with.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-05 7:26 pm 

I liked Ordeal in Marath, but it makes sense with Marath. So, perception... Without counters to toy with, it's weak.

Iroas, Xenagos and Purphoros is a strong combination. I'm afraid to run it (and too cheap to buy them, says the guy with multiple playsets of duals). But it's battlecruiser magic for sure.

Karador... lacks the cool factor of Rith. Mechanically the card is interesting though, and very strong.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: EnchantRitheth - Rith the Awakener Enchantress
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-22 3:08 pm 

Continued to tinker with this deck over the last few months... it's become a favorite...

I added more staple-y cards like Sylvan Library, Aura Shards, and Mirri's Guile, and trimmed some of the haste-granting enchantments (which were mostly only good with Rith, and they're sort of a non-bo with her tokens).

It needs a few more cards that I haven't put a hand on yet, like Exploration, Life from the Loam, Thawing Glaciers, and Windbrisk Heights. I keep going back and forth on Forgeborn Oreads... haven't gotten to combo together a giant Replenish yet.

And now that Kalemne's Captain is a card, I might have to add some of the enchantment sacrificers.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: EnchantRitheth - Rith the Awakener Enchantress
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-24 12:35 am 

Faith Healer is the best :)

Offline Profile