Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-17 6:45 pm

Post subject: Headed for Seattle
AgePosted: 2019-Sep-18 1:18 am 
EDH Rules Committee

I just announced that I'll be headed to Seattle for a few months to work with WotC on some upcoming projects. I won't be moving there full time, since I still have to come back for immunotherapy treatments every other week, but it'll be full time work. You can guess that something involving Commander will come up. If there are thoughts you'd like me to carry along, feel free to share.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Headed for Seattle
AgePosted: 2019-Sep-18 2:26 am 

Definitely going to have to get them to make Avacyn's B/W sister! Let's get some more awesome Angel commanders!

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-18 9:01 am 

I'll have to think about it, but the two things that jumps right out:

1. When/how will we see the "foil-only" commander product (e.g. Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist) printed in a non-foil version. I like some of the new commanders, but I hate foils. There should be an avenue to make things like that available (reprinting in Masters sets, etc.)

2. Since C19 was given an Icon and Set ID in MTGO, does that mean we will finally see commander product for sale in Magic Online? Hunting down commander product online is a huge pain, and secondary market gouges because the "prize pack" distribution is way too low. I just want to buy product. Why do they not want my money?

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-18 9:08 am 

Treamayne wrote:
1. When/how will we see the "foil-only" commander product (e.g. Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist) printed in a non-foil version. I like some of the new commanders, but I hate foils. There should be an avenue to make things like that available (reprinting in Masters sets, etc.)
+1

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-18 9:55 am 

Viperion wrote:
Treamayne wrote:
+1

+2

I also expressed this to Gavin directly, but I would love to see Sol Ring take a year off (or two) in favor of Arcane Signet to get more into circulation. (As you know, I would love to see less emphasis on it in general, so seeing them use it less in favor of different rocks that need love would be awesome - Fellwar Stone for example could use another reprint.)

Unrelated, you're still going to fly back to the East Coast for Roanoke, right?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-18 11:33 am 

Flippin' use Commander product to finish unfinished land cycles. Darkwater Catacombs et al.

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-18 8:47 pm 

Bruticus wrote:
Flippin' use Commander product to finish unfinished land cycles. Darkwater Catacombs et al.

But then we'll have mismatched borders!! *cries softly*

(I support this request as well)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-18 9:01 pm 

Bruticus wrote:

Especially for the older cycles that likely wouldn’t get completed in standard. The signetlands (Darkwater et al) are one, but also the slow fetches like Bad River.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-18 9:26 pm 

Please help WoTC design more cards that can deal with ramp decks without harming the players' abilities to interact with each other. I really liked the design of Tectonic Hellion, and I think the format needs more of these kinds of ramp-hate cards.

Name: Enraged Wilds
General: Marath, Will of the Wild
Archetype: Aggro-Control

Name: Draconic Domination
General: The Ur-Dragon
Archetype: Midrange

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-19 6:00 am 

This one's gonna seem minor, but please give a big high-five to whoever put unique UPCs on each of the commander decks this time around.

(Previously, all the decks would have the same UPC -- it was a big pain in the ass. "Hi, you don't have the Commander deck I want... is it at another store? Can you order for me?" "Definitely maybe, and there's no way for me answer that!")

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-22 6:56 am 

Thought of another one... Could you talk to the R&D team about the length of time that a Commander game should take, and how many turns that game should take?

Over on Nexus when you started the "how long before you release the hounds" thread, it seemed like most people were looking for a 45-60 minute game, which is about what most board game designers aim for in a 3-5 player tabletop game.

It feels like R&D wants a Commander game to be about the same length of time as a regular 1v1 game, which is where I think a lot of the unhappy, "win-the-game-immediately" kinds of cards come from.

I think there's a similar expectations mismatch when it comes to how much time a single turn should take, because in the last couple years there's been a steady creep of Paradox Engine/Chulane style cards that give a player either extra untaps or extra card resources, and the end result is that turn times seem to be steadily increasing.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-23 7:45 am 

I'm 3 1/2 hours away, so you'll have to let me know when you're doing a game and I'll set up time to run over there.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-24 10:16 am 

Cross posting from the Rules Discussion forum. Most people are introduced to the format in a way that doesn't involve a visit to this website, let alone a reading of the philosophy document. I think it would be hugely beneficial to come up with a short version of the philosophy document that could be included in the commander precons. Something along the lines of "welcome to the cool kids' club! We were once players just like you. Here's our vision of the format. Your mileage may vary, but the most important thing is to have fun. if you have questions or just want to engage with other players, come talk to us at mtgcommander.net! Love, the RC"

I think something like this could go a long way into setting expectations about the culture of the format for players.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-24 12:42 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

kirkusjones wrote:
Cross posting from the Rules Discussion forum. Most people are introduced to the format in a way that doesn't involve a visit to this website, let alone a reading of the philosophy document. I think it would be hugely beneficial to come up with a short version of the philosophy document that could be included in the commander precons. Something along the lines of "welcome to the cool kids' club! We were once players just like you. Here's our vision of the format. Your mileage may vary, but the most important thing is to have fun. if you have questions or just want to engage with other players, come talk to us at mtgcommander.net! Love, the RC"

I think something like this could go a long way into setting expectations about the culture of the format for players.

This is a grand idea.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-24 2:15 pm 

Sheldon wrote:
kirkusjones wrote:

This is a grand idea.

didnt the rules insert for the original commander decks have this?

Offline Profile